State Farm commercials

The State Farm bundle and many other commercials must have some appeal at some level, but to me, they're not just stupid, they're annoying.  Considering that nothing happens in advertising these days without copious amount of background research, whoever green lighted these ads must've been convinced the were on to something. And, who knows?  Maybe they're right.  Maybe seeing Aaron Rogers or Pat Mahomes is all it takes.  Me?  I'll take a heaping helping of woodchucks chucking wood.  

On 1/12/2020 at 5:27 PM, Larry Kart said:

I've seen all those State Farm commercials with Aaron Rodgers and his geeky agent many times now, and I still can't figure out what's going on in any of them.

I've watched a sampling of them here: https://www.ispot.tv/brands/A62/state-farm

and don't find them confusing. It's Rogers, and actor playing his agent, another real athlete and/or a real-life State Farm agent. Rogers is Rogers, the athletes and the SF agents are all cool/normal, and the jokes are all at "Rogers' agent's expense. The message appears to be simply that State Farm is real insurance for real people, no tricks, no gimmicks.

Did business with them for years and found that to be the case. But they finally got too pricey for auto (based on the kids having a few random minor claims in the space of 5 years, so we had to let them go, especially when our local agent played the "sorry, it's all out of my hands, blame the underwriters" card just a little too heavily a little too often. A bit more top the story than just that, too, but suffice it to say, thee name "John Kraft" is not one spoken in our house these days without a bit of animus attached.

But these commercials are a LOT more sensible to me than were the "Discount Double Check" spots of a few years ago...my god were those annoying.

I remember when State Farm sponsored The Jack Benny Program on CBS.

I get that the jokes are supposed to  be at the expense of Rogers' agent, but I don't get the jokes. What are they?  I mean, there's some interaction between Rogers and the agent, who behaves all geeky about the double discount or something, and the agent ends up with dung on his face without quite acknowledging or maybe understanding  it, but what actually happened? Kabuki theater for me, although that I said "actually" may point to my problem here. This year I've watched entire episodes of "Saturday Night Live" without grasping the premise of a single routine. I think they call it "you're 77" disease.