Rashied Ali / Frank Lowe - Duo Exchange

Onxidlib

An expanded reissue of Rashied Ali and Frank Lowe's "Duo Exchange" is available as a double LP on Suvival Records - Bandcamp.

a3021743544_10.jpg

Also available is a previously unreleased concert from Slugs in 1967 as 2 x vinyl . Line-up is Dewey Johnson (Trumpet), Ramon Morris (Tenor Saxophone), Stanley Cowell (Piano), Reggie Johnson (Bass) and - of course - Rashied Ali.

a4286430230_10.jpg

Already ordered both limited releases - the downloads coming with the order are not the complete albums but only a small portion of the respective recordings.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a really interesting lineup on the Slugs set.   Found more about it here.  Sound is OK, no more, no less.  Music sounds pretty routine for the era/genre.   Not knocked out by Dewey Johnson's playing here, and he does go on.  https://rashied-ali.bandcamp.com/album/first-time-out-live-at-slugs-1967

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

KTC?

Kicked to the curb. Audio engineering abbreviation I recently learned.

I assume the digital release stipulations might have to do with how the estate wants this thing handled. Perhaps they do not want to have the entire thing streamable online or downloaded. Time will tell. I know of at least three additional sets coming down the pike in the next year or so. It'll be pretty interesting to hear the new (to us) material.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

I assume the digital release stipulations might have to do with how the estate wants this thing handled. Perhaps they do not want to have the entire thing streamable online or downloaded. Time will tell. I know of at least three additional sets coming down the pike in the next year or so. It'll be pretty interesting to hear the new (to us) material.

Their prerogative, I guess, but why not release it for sale on cd? This approach loses me as a customer and I suspect I’m not alone.

5 hours ago, djcavanagh said:
7 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

ITheir prerogative, I guess, but why not release it for sale on cd? This approach loses me as a customer and I suspect I’m not alone.

You aren't alone.  I only buy CD's, not LP's or downloads.

10 hours ago, djcavanagh said:

Crazy and frustrating that all the music isn't available on the download - only way to get it all is to buy the lp, which will cost a small fortune to shop to Europe.

Even worse, in the small print:

'The digital version of this release contains only a portion of the material on the 2xLP, and none of the previously unissued recordings.'

What's the point?

14 hours ago, djcavanagh said:

Crazy and frustrating that all the music isn't available on the download - only way to get it all is to buy the lp, which will cost a small fortune to shop to Europe.

I thought the postage wasn't too outrageous at £15 for the pair but there's still the possible customs fees to factor in.

I like what I hear. I can't see there being distribution outside US.

23 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I actually dig Johnson on that LP set.

The Duo Exchange sounds superb, really amazing, and almost makes me want to KTC the original. Almost.

I have listened a bit to the Slugs set on Bandcamp. Ali's drums are pretty forward in the mix (seems logical), but Stanley Cowell's piano is almost inaudible. "Study for As-Salaam Alikum" starts out in mono, then switches to stereo, although i'm not sure whether it's true stereo or electronically rechanneled.

What are your impressions of the sound of the vinyl, Clifford?

The sound of the vinyl is very quiet; I agree Cowell is low in the mix. This music was probably meant to document Ali's first gig as a leader, and not originally intended for release. I know Mr. Lizzi did a great job with what was certainly not the best tape situation to work with. 

Not sure who was actually running the recording device at Slugs' but it would not surprise me if they were fooling around with the unit and toggled between mono/stereo or something like that.

for what it's worth, a pirated LP version of Exchange was released a couple of years ago. It was incomplete -- missing two tracks from the original LP, even -- and apparently sounded like absolute junk. So anybody who spent $25 on that thing was just lighting their own money on fire. I guess the bootleggers probably made their money back but it seemed like a complete waste of time for everyone.