Rashied Ali / Frank Lowe - Duo Exchange

Onxidlib

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clifford or anyone else.  I'm pretty excited for this.  Do you know about the source material?  I read the copy about the engineer, but wondering if these are from analog or digital.  Also, wondering where these were pressed.  $50 is a lot of coin so just curious if anyone knows.  Thanks!

On 23.1.2020 at 4:47 AM, Jay said:

Clifford or anyone else.  I'm pretty excited for this.  Do you know about the source material?  I read the copy about the engineer, but wondering if these are from analog or digital.  Also, wondering where these were pressed.  $50 is a lot of coin so just curious if anyone knows.  Thanks!

It was pressed by RTI (Record Technology Incorporated? - in Camarillo, CA). The source was the original MT. According the liner notes by Ben Young, Joe Lizzi and George Schuller, the MT contained "...numerous imperfections..." but "We have taken judicious steps to minimize .." them. Regarding production, design and mixing/mastering it could have been a Triple Point Records production. I assume they did everything to give us the best possible listening pleasure.

On 1/25/2020 at 6:22 AM, Onxidlib said:

It was pressed by RTI (Record Technology Incorporated? - in Camarillo, CA). The source was the original MT. According the liner notes by Ben Young, Joe Lizzi and George Schuller, the MT contained "...numerous imperfections..." but "We have taken judicious steps to minimize .." them. Regarding production, design and mixing/mastering it could have been a Triple Point Records production. I assume they did everything to give us the best possible listening pleasure.

Chiming in with a bit of minutiae here, but RTI is legit. I had a Grex record pressed through them several years ago and the quality was very strong (IIRC a lot of recent Blue Note reissues were pressed through them, too). Excellent pressing isn't going to compensate for a high noise floor or egregious tape artifacts, of course, but so much classic free jazz was and has been recorded in terrible fidelity that I think listening past imperfections is more or less part of the genre at this point. I will say that based purely on an A/B comparison of the bandcamp audio with the old CD reissue of Duo Exchange that the new issue sounds markedly clearer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2020 at 6:09 PM, clifford_thornton said:

you do

You were correct. I did and now I have.

Super sound quality on Duo Exchange

On 17/02/2020 at 8:46 AM, Clunky said:

My first two attempts to buy this were thwarted by PayPal as they found “ a risk associated with your payment”.

Apparently the presence of Rashied Ali’s name was the issue !!! In that case they should decline all payments in regards to the Jazz Messengers. 

I had exactly the same issue. When I spoke with PayPal they danced round the issue but said something like we have to be aware of people using code names and the algorithms pick up these up.

Honest Jon's were a bit more forthright in their assessment of PayPal's security algorithm. 

The issue was definitely with either of the names 'Rashied' or 'Ali' because when I sent a direct payment to HJ without mention of names it went straight through. And I'm still waiting for the refund of the refused payment!

According to HJ in the past products that had ‘Iran’ in the title caused the same issues. 

I’d agree that the sound on Duo Exchange is excellent as is the music . I’m pretty partial to Frank Lowe having been bowled over by a live performance with Billy Bang many years ago. 

The music and the sound quality of this release exceeds my expectations - very happy that I pulled the trigger based solely on this thread.

Because I love jazz on vinyl, now I am wondering if I should fast for 3 days and buy Frank Lowe’s Out Loud on Triple Point Records.

14 hours ago, charlesp said:

The music and the sound quality of this release exceeds my expectations - very happy that I pulled the trigger based solely on this thread.

Because I love jazz on vinyl, now I am wondering if I should fast for 3 days and buy Frank Lowe’s Out Loud on Triple Point Records.

Yeah, I've been thinking of Out Loud but the shipping to UK and likely customs costs make it prohibitive

• 5 months later...

Wow!! what an amazing pressing - really impressed.

Managed to get my copy via Amazon Australia (couldn't believe it) and at a very good price with $5.45 (Aus) for shipping plus a promotional discount of $5.99 (Aus).

BTW anyone who has an original LP pressing (Clifford?), was any of the dialogue between Marzette, Rashied & Frank (as heard on the 2 LP set) included on that single LP

Interestingly the Knitting Factory CD from the late 90s only had the two long tracks (Movements I & III) and excluded the two shorter pieces (Movements II & IV) - I used to wonder why it was such a short LP

• 4 months later...
34 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Honest Jon's in London has it for just over £40.  https://honestjons.com/shop/artist/Rashied_Ali_Frank_Lowe/release/Duo_Exchange

Not sure what the shipping would be to the Netherlands.

Thanks a lot! Just ordered it. payment has failed but it was drawn of my PayPal account. Hope it all turn out ok...

Also I don't know if this is a very wise decision now with the Brexit and all but hey I am a little impulsive sometimes when it comes to good music...

2 minutes ago, Pim said:

Thanks a lot! Just ordered it. payment has failed but it was drawn of my PayPal account. Hope it all turn out ok...

Also I don't know if this is a very wise decision now with the Brexit and all but hey I am a little impulsive sometimes when it comes to good music...

Who knows. However unwise the decision is, it's not going to be worse than any other of the decisions surrounding Brexit. :wacko:

Honest Jon's is pretty responsive to email, so it's worth sending one to check that they have the payment. 

When I ordered this from them at the time of release I had issues with PayPal. HJ informed me it's because of Ali's name (some discussion of this elsewhere at the time). They have a very easy solution but I can't quite remember what it is - probably asking you to PayPal funds to them directly, I think.

As Rabshakeh suggestions an email should do it.

At least the lorry backlog us cleared now 🙄

Honest Jon’s just confirmed it is indeed his last name that makes PayPal hold the transaction. They should be ashamed of themselves. They asked me to pay directly to them indeed . Problem solved :) now hoping it will get overseas without any problems!