Another Mosaic Armstrong to come out this August.

11 minutes ago, jazztrain said:

Isn't that on the Savoy box?  That's from December 1938.  

Is this something else?

It's not on the Savoy or Savory box :). Some issues give give October 19 1938 but Armstrong was in New Orleans that day. Info from Tom Lord disco.

I have the Recording on Neatwork Louis Armstrong volume 2 1935-1944 and Frémeaux The complete Louis Armstrong vol 9. Jeepers Creepers is included but not mentioned in the booklet. Disc 1 has 23 tracks in stead of 22.

There are many more issues of this session.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, miles65 said:

There are many more issues of this session.

Yes, I have it on King Jazz. If there's a better disc out there hopefully someone will put it out!

I'm on disc 4 of this box set. The sound is wonderful. The rehearsal takes fun. If you think you'd like this set, get it before it's gone!

11 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, I have it on King Jazz. If there's a better disc out there hopefully someone will put it out!

I'm on disc 4 of this box set. The sound is wonderful. The rehearsal takes fun. If you think you'd like this set, get it before it's gone!

I'm waiting for it to arrive. 

It may be en route and you just weren't notified. I hope so. The opposite happened with me, I didn't get the "your order has been sent off to the warehouse to be shipped" notice, but days after others got that I got an actual shipping notice. A friend of mine had gotten the "sent to the warehouse" email, but not a shipping notice. It's a bit loosey goosey BUT so far I've always eventually gotten what I ordered.

9 minutes ago, thirdtry said:

Mine is out for delivery today from UPS.  Is it possible they are shipping out UPS orders first?  Just a thought.

I hadn't thought of that. I chose UPS too after the experience of USPS being battered in use as a political tool in the fall and delivery then and thereafter until recently being. . . problematic.

Edited by jazzbo

Mine arrived today, and I'm enjoying disc 2, listening to the rehearsal takes of "Mack the Knife." Some very fine Teagarden on the first couple of discs. I like how they've organized it, with the Singles on the first two discs and the rest devoted to the albums. I also like Riccardi's notes in the booklet so far (I read as I listen). Lots of interesting detail about Satch and the sessions, and he doesn't whitewash weaknesses.

gregmo

Got my box on Sunday. Very happy. Great sound, great book (I like Riccardi's very readable prose style and his enthusiasm for all things Louis, though he really seems to dislike Barney Bigard's All-Stars tenure). Praise aside, I have tried to enjoy The Real Ambassadors, but I just can't. Too stilted, too much 60's Burt Bacharach background vocals (I have the same issue with the background vocals on the Dizzy small group Mosaic), too artsy. I'll have it as an artifact, but I won't listen to it if I can avoid it.

On 4/24/2021 at 8:37 AM, ghost of miles said:

Nine days since I got the email informing me that my order had been forwarded to the warehouse for shipping—still no shipping notification as of today. 

Just got this in an e-mail re: Armstrong and Henderson sets: 

"Due to Covid-19 protocols at the warehouse, collating and shipping the sets has slowed down. We have had a really strong response to the new Joe Henderson set and we expect to ship all the initial orders in 1 - 2 weeks.
We sincerely apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience."

OTOH even if the Henderson set doesn't ship for 2 weeks, isn't this the fastest ever time from announcement to shipping of a Mosaic set? 

Placed an order for this box set. I don't have this material and even though it's an expensive way of acquiring it, I'm sure it's really well presented and sounds great here.

But hopefully there is also a future for other types of Mosaic sets too, beyond the historic core releases (that are excellent).

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...