This thread is dedicated to the memory of its three founders, Volker Kriegel, Albert Angelsdorff, and Wolfgang Dauner - the latter left us just a few days ago.

L-42996-1409523034-1765.jpeg.jpg

This is what discogs says about the label, which is all correct, AFAIK:

"German label co-founded in 1977 by Volker Kriegel, Wolfgang Dauner, Albert Mangelsdorff , Ack van Rooyen, Werner Schretzmeier (a German cabaret artist and radio moderator), and Tonstudio Zuckerfabrik to promote and distribute the new sound of jazz-rock. Their first release The United Jazz+Rock Ensemble - Live Im Schützenhaus became the best selling German jazz record of all times with 100.000 sold copies. Originally promoted and distributed exclusively by the fashionable "Zweitausendeins" chain of book and record mailorder stores via their 1,2 million catalogue subscribers, the Mood Records label soon became a highly acclaimed brand for experimental sounds and quality musicianship.
Operations of the label / company have ceased and the company was deleted from the commercial register on 09 May 2016. "

Between 1977 and 1987 88 LPs were released if I counted correctly. Then they started releasing CDs, inluding reissues of many titles. 2006 saw their last release, caused by the sale of their disctributor, Zweitauisendeins, to a new owner. In 2010 Inakustik made double CD reissues of 22 albums. Dauner and Schretzmeier operated the company free of charge for many years, so they were able to pay the muscians 25% of the profit, which was enormous compared to other labels. In 2010, Dauner retired from his post as director. .

Please tell about the releases you have heard or own or both, and what you think of them. I have only a few as the label did not quite match my tastes; some I know are downright brilliant, some I found a bit over-produced - more later.

If you want a complete list here, please let me know. discogs seems to have a pretty much complete listing: https://www.discogs.com/label/42996-Mood-Records

Edited by mikeweil

6 minutes ago, Niko said:

R-4791322-1375642827-3597.jpeg.jpg

Living in Germany I had the opportunity to see many of their artists in person, this band being one of them (without Thompson). Nice jazzrock, but not top league. John Lee and Gerry Brown were hyped by some German critics as being on the level of Stanley Clarke & co., but they really were not. But they worked hard, gave their best. 

I think I only own one Mood Records release:  Larry Coryell's Standing Ovation.

My LP is actually a U.S. release. I guess Novus licensed the music from Mood. In any case, it's outstanding (assuming you like Coryell in "acoustic" mode).

I've always wanted to hear this:

R-1945750-1360658956-8480.jpeg.jpg

Anyone have it?

Edited by HutchFan

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I think I only own one Mood Records release:  Larry Coryell's Standing Ovation.

My LP is actually a U.S. release. I guess Novus licensed the music from Mood. In any case, it's outstanding (assuming you like Coryell in "acoustic" mode).

Definitely a good one 👍....