Apostrophe

Shrdlu

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Perhaps CDs is more correct, but it looks “more wrong” than CD’s

Not really. The latter refers to someone as in “Rooster’s (fill in the blank).”  It’s possessive whereas CDs refers to more than one of something. 

Nor to me.

All that is needed is NOT to give in to the reflexes of what has been seen often enough "must be right" (which it still isn't).^_^

The same problem exists in the German language too, BTW, where it is even more of an eyesore because an "s" separated by an apostrophe is much more of an anomaly than in English anyway.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

21 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Perhaps CDs is more correct, but it looks “more wrong” than CD’s

Not at all to me.

I'm an old fart and grammar/punctuation stickler. Have always viewed (mis)use of apostrophe for plural as (no offense) a howling solecism and indicator of illiteracy.

But then I still think "begging the question" means "assuming the truth of what was to be proven"...:lol:

Edited by T.D.

The only reason I think CD's looks better (than CDs), is because CD is a acronym.  In other words, "CD" itself isn't a 'word' as such (to my way of thinking).

So while I fully admit CD's doesn't look quite right, neither does CDs -- and for whatever reason, the former looks slightly better (to me) than the latter.

Now would I pluralize UFO as UFO's?  Maybe.  Or is it UFOs?  Same thing -- neither one looks right to me.  Pluralizing an acronym is certainly something I do all the time, but more so in verbal communication.

Still, on-line communication like this is WAY more 'verbal' than it is any sort of even semi-formal writing.  In essence, all this Forum stuff is more like written verbal communication, stylistically speaking.  So how to you write stuff that you wouldn't put in writing in most other contexts?

Of course with text-messaging, and twitter, all kinds of norms for even "written verbal" communication are changing all the time.

10 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

The meaning/ proper use of  the phrase "begs the question" 

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/begs-the-question

Interesting. I've never seen the definition given in that source, only the "classical" one. Quoting Wiki: In classical rhetoric and logic, begging the question is an informal fallacy that occurs when an argument's premises assume the truth of the conclusion, instead of supporting it.

I think it's fine as is. We could call it "Ask The Musician" even though in context it would mean ask the musicians. It's a bit pompous, but it works, Similarly. "Musician's Form" refers to the body of musicians as a single collective entity.

I get the "complaint", but seriously, roll with it, ok? This is the least of worries about pretty much anything.

• 1 month later...