Has the binding split on anyone's Mosaic sets?

Well, the binding split on my Hank 50's box....  it's now comes off like a box set where you lift off the top.  My set is old, so is my Jimmy Smith.  It's not a big deal to me really because it means I've enjoyed them well and they stay with me, but just a bit strange.  Never stored them improper or anything.

4 hours ago, Stonewall15 said:

Doesn't really matter unless you are trying to re-sell on eBay.

I don’t agree because you like — or at least I do — things to look like new or in good condition. Maybe it’s an analysis retentive thing but that would bug me. 

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I don’t agree because you like — or at least I do — things to look like new or in good condition. Maybe it’s an analysis retentive thing but that would bug me. 

I hear you, Brad. Well the discs and booklet are in great condition in my set so its what matters to me.  I used to feel that way, everything has to be perfect, but I relaxed about it.  I haven't bought anything from Mosaic since 2007, so the new Mobley set will very likely be my next purchase-- but I'm kind of weighing the option since the albums are there on Amazon HD Music, but Mosaic's presentations I love.

I was glad when Mosaic went to the lift off lids. Those hinges were a pain and it was almost inevitable that the hinge would break, particularly on the heavy LP sets. If you open the lid with the box sitting flat, the action of opening that lid completely causes the box with the LPs in it to lift off the flat surafce, putting all of the weight of the box onto the piece of paper that attached the lid to the bottom box. If you held the box in the air to avoid this, it would swing in the air off the paper and if you weren't careful, you could swing it too far and hear that tell-tale "crack" as the paper and/or glue let go. All in all, just a lousy design.

Of course, that could just be the engineer in me. :)

1 hour ago, bresna said:

I was glad when Mosaic went to the lift off lids. Those hinges were a pain and it was almost inevitable that the hinge would break, particularly on the heavy LP sets. If you open the lid with the box sitting flat, the action of opening that lid completely causes the box with the LPs in it to lift off the flat surafce, putting all of the weight of the box onto the piece of paper that attached the lid to the bottom box. If you held the box in the air to avoid this, it would swing in the air off the paper and if you weren't careful, you could swing it too far and hear that tell-tale "crack" as the paper and/or glue let go. All in all, just a lousy design.

Of course, that could just be the engineer in me. :)

If someone at Mosaic had an engineering degree back then my box sets would still be pristine. Back in the days of classical box sets the only "mosaic like" boxes were canvas panel, I have some Deutsche Grammophone sets that are still one piece.

I inherited several older sets from my father with this problem.  As Dad got older, let's just say he wasn't as dexterous as he used to be, and the stuff Bresna described above happened to these boxes.   So, I'm trying to figure out what may be the best way to repair them.  Maybe the archival tape suggested by Captain Howdy will work.

I am so glad that they went to regular boxes eventually.  My sets with those boxes are still in great shape.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21.1.2020 at 2:04 PM, bresna said:

Had just the problem with my Shearing (LP's) box.  The paper holding the lid was completely teared. Hat to fix it with Scotch tape. It holds now.

Selling it is not planned.

I had It with my Mildred Bailey set. Mosaic were able to replace it. This was years ago. I don’t remember wether I asked fO r just one box and payed for the postage or asked them to sent it with an other set. The way things are today I wouldn’t ask Mosaic to sent me a replacement Box unless it could be with an other set.