Jimmy Heath RIP

Chuck Nessa

And some Village Gate sessions with Clark Terry.

Yes, quite a few great sideman appearances, plus all the stuff by The Heath Brothers.  But you'd think there would be a Blue Note run, or maybe Concord, or a longer run at Steeple Chase.

You could say he did better (late career) with Heath Brothers, even though those records are now a bit hard to find.

Edited by Milestones

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was either in prison or else working hard at Riverside when the BN run would have been most likely. For the better part of the 70s he was doing Heath Brothers, and then after that, from what I understand, he had a good thing going as an educator/clinician.

I don't know how much he would have wanted to trifle with Steeplechase or any other label where publishing considerations might have been on the table. You can make a safe bet that a guy who wrote as prolifically as he did was, at that point, going to be pretty serious about that.

This is a good time to call out these two on Soul Note, not particularly "well-know", but very good indeed:

R-6271762-1415284226-2220.jpeg.jpg

R-6271762-1415284231-8417.jpeg.jpg

R-11261596-1512937026-3642.jpeg.jpg

Seems like an unlikely grouping, and maybe it was, but everybody came to play.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been delaying putting my thoughts down.  I was fortunate to see Jimmy Heath several times over the years.  There are so many memories that I'll cherish and I'll share a few.  The last time I saw him was at the Detroit Jazz Festival, first guesting with Randy Weston on a version of 'Hi-Fly' and then with his group plus Roberta Gambarini.  I remember Heath dancing enthusiastically like a Pip behind the charming Gambarini as she sung Heath compositions.  The performance with Weston was the only time they performed together (and the last time I saw Weston).  There was the time I saw Heath with the Cleveland Jazz Orchestra (then led by Sean Jones).  The big-band charts of 'The Time and the Place' (such a great tune!) and 'A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing' have stuck with me.  I remember Heath introducing 'Gingerbread Boy' as referring to his son being biracial and having Mona stand up.  I saw him twice with his Heath Brothers band and the group hit a groove so deep you wouldn't believe it.

I also got to hear him talk a few times.  The first time was moderated by Christian McBride, whom Heath called Joe Theismann because his thighs were so big.  During a Q&A, an older man asked Heath whatever happened to The World's Greatest Jazz Band.  Heath, seemingly puzzled or irritated by this odd question, responded, "You mean the Modern Jazz Quartet?"  I saw him at a master class where I had the chance to ask him about Hassan Ibn Ali (mentioned elsewhere) and you could tell that Heath fondly remembered him.  I was also able to buy a personally inscribed copy of his autobiography that day with an inscription thanking me for having ears.  I also remember him mentioning how huge Gene Ammons' sound was and how when Heath heard him, it seemed like Ammons' sound was coming from everywhere (I remember Heath comically looking under his seat).  The last time I saw him talk was with Weston and it was something hearing two longtime friends and legends sharing stories.

During his performances and talks, Heath's smile and sly wit were always on display and he unfailingly played with a lot of heart.  I'll miss seeing him.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Heath, and rest in peace.