Jimmy Heath RIP

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad news.  I've enjoyed his playing and composing, although I must admit I really haven't gone into the kind of depth in exploring his recordings that his long and illustrious career deserves.  I must correct that.  I got to see him perform as part of the Heath Brothers at Stanford maybe 20 years ago.  He seemed like a cool guy.  May he Rest In Peace & Jam With Percy!

Jimmy Heath's first recordings were done in 1947. As both a tenor player and composer he has made many highly important contributions to jazz. I have long enjoyed his many sessions for the Riverside label. Perhaps my favorite Jimmy Heath album is the quartet date for the Xanadu label that Soulpope posted above,

There cannot be very many jazz musicians left who first recorded in 1947 or earlier.

R.I.P.

9 minutes ago, felser said:

93 is a good run.  Long career.  Wish he had not missed so much of the 1950's, he would have contributed greatly.   Talented guy and very kind the one time I met him in the 1970's.  RIP.

What John said. A long life. What more can one ask for? RIP. 

This is sad to hear. What a history.

I saw the Heath Brothers in Victoria, British Columbia, in about 1981. Jimmy played a scorching solo on "On The Trail", better than on the Riverside album of the same name, though that is a favorite of his albums. He was also very effective on Bags's Impulse album, "The Jazz 'N' Samba".

1 hour ago, Dave James said:

"Tootie" is still with us, but there aren't many of the originals who are still standing. I just wonder how well they'll be remembered when folks like us who are of a certain age, have all put our cues back in the rack.

In the same way we remember and listen to the greats who were no longer alive when we first started to listen to them.