"New" Gene Ammons footage

Mark Stryker

Totally new to me. Footage of Jug from the early '70s, apparently from a Chicago public television program produced by Dan Morgenstern. YouTube posting went up today and says Dan only recently found the tape. Yes, it's late period Jug and there's Varitone, etc. But still, holy shit! Plus, you get to hear Jug speak. With King Kolax, George Freeman, Wallace Burton, Chester Williamson, Bob Guthrie.

Anybody know if this has ever circulated before and do any of you Chicagoans remember the program?

Jsngry do you know this dawg, he is in your area, I send him a congratually message (with some questions, eg format of what he transfered)- [ I didn't mention you]

Should i alert him of the dexter gordon error too- the descrip says clearly says on tha one: """"This is the last appearance of Dexter Gordon, and was taped just weeks before his death in 1969 and aired in a memorial setting"""" {CLOSE QUOTE}

Do you guys wanna organize a live youtube viewing party rt now?- is everybody having dinner?  Oooo you're gonna like this thread..............

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

just was talkin w/ my dawg about the Varitone.............we're all glad it disappeared, right-  Eddie Harris used it to best effect, no?  Notice in the Dexter clip he doesn't go near it.  I was also surmising Hank never went near the thing

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Not really glad it disappeared, but not unhappy. It's just a sound, albeit a limited one.

Check out Sonny Stitt using it on that live Left Bank thing, that's the perfect use of it. Let Don Patterson scream as loud as he wants to and you can still be on top of it. Momentum on top of momentum, Billy James working hard for his money!

Lee Konitz used it to good effect also, believe it or not. He seemed to use it to obliterate the acoustic sound and to put out just the electric sound. For the way he played, that was interesting.

• 1 year later...