Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
felser

Freddy Gambrell

11 posts in this topic

Listening to "Introducing Freddy Gambrell" with Chico Hamilton.  Really nice, Tatum-influenced stuff, some of it more in, some more heading out.  Have never heard of him before.  Anyone have any thoughts or info on him?

2 hours ago, Dave James said:

Interesting album cover

I thought it looked familiar:

R-7517497-1536888943-5275.jpeg.jpg

Gambrell alternate cover:

R-3749764-1550137621-8953.jpeg.jpg

2 hours ago, felser said:

Listening to "Introducing Freddy Gambrell" with Chico Hamilton.  Really nice, Tatum-influenced stuff, some of it more in, some more heading out.  Have never heard of him before.  Anyone have any thoughts or info on him?

Never heard of him, but I very much enjoyed listening to the entire album on youtube. Freddie's real name was Federico Cervantes, and discogs.com lists only one other title under his name:

R-5491795-1395037902-8355.jpeg.jpg

Edited by sonnymax

I had the Pacific LP with Tucker and let it go on account of being IMO pretty dull. Nothing terrible but too much like cocktail lounge music.

Didn't some of this show up on Kimball)sp?)?

4 hours ago, Clunky said:

I had the Pacific LP with Tucker and let it go on account of being IMO pretty dull. Nothing terrible but too much like cocktail lounge music.

I share what Clunky said. Not an interesting jazz album.

3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I share what Clunky said. Not an interesting jazz album.

Different album than the one I a heard.  Mine was the trio album with Tucker and Chico Hamilton, not the duo album with Tucker.  Any thoughts on the one I heard?  I certainly find something like this to have jazz value, at least in a Gene Harris - Ray Bryant - etc. sort of way.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Mine was the trio album with Tucker and Chico Hamilton, not the duo album with Tucker.  Any thoughts on the one I heard? 

I think it's excellent. His "out" tendencies are what make this trio album special — it's much better than the duo album.