felser

2 hours ago, Dave James said:

Interesting album cover

I thought it looked familiar:

R-7517497-1536888943-5275.jpeg.jpg

Gambrell alternate cover:

R-3749764-1550137621-8953.jpeg.jpg

2 hours ago, felser said:

Listening to "Introducing Freddy Gambrell" with Chico Hamilton.  Really nice, Tatum-influenced stuff, some of it more in, some more heading out.  Have never heard of him before.  Anyone have any thoughts or info on him?

Never heard of him, but I very much enjoyed listening to the entire album on youtube. Freddie's real name was Federico Cervantes, and discogs.com lists only one other title under his name:

R-5491795-1395037902-8355.jpeg.jpg

Edited by sonnymax

3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I share what Clunky said. Not an interesting jazz album.

Different album than the one I a heard.  Mine was the trio album with Tucker and Chico Hamilton, not the duo album with Tucker.  Any thoughts on the one I heard?  I certainly find something like this to have jazz value, at least in a Gene Harris - Ray Bryant - etc. sort of way.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Mine was the trio album with Tucker and Chico Hamilton, not the duo album with Tucker.  Any thoughts on the one I heard? 

I think it's excellent. His "out" tendencies are what make this trio album special — it's much better than the duo album. 

• 7 months later...

Listening to the Hamilton-sponsored trio date now. Gambrell sometimes sounds like Tatum, via the same pathways as Andre Previn, sometimes like Herbie Nichols, and sometimes like Jaki Byard. Not what I expected!

Also, apparently he played trumpet and recorded on that instrument under the name Federico Cervantes... https://federicocervantes.blogspot.com/2009/03/