South African "Straight Ahead" Jazz

garthsj

King Ubu,

Knowing your special interest in South African jazz, I thought that you would enjoy this wonderful album, just released on the Heads Up Label (HUCD 3079). Great, current South African "straight ahead" jazz with that fascinating township tinged sound. Highly recommended ....

Garth.

Edited by garthsj

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Garth! Wow, a thread "especially" for me and it's not even my birthday yet :)

I recorded some (I think four) radio programmes about ZA-Jazz around x-mas - all stuff taken from records or CDs, mostly unknown to me. I still have to dub them to MD or some other more consumer-friendly device, and figure out who all the guys playing are.

I will have a look for this disc, Garth, thanks!

Why not we discuss some stuff here, as this is the recommendations section - have you any other south african straight jazz recs?

ubu

I've got some of Dollar Brand's (future Abdullah Ibrahim) recordings on a label called Kaz (specifically the album with Mannenburg on it--can't remember the title). I really love it.

I have all of these - there were four. Beautiful stuff!

They were discussed in another thread earlier ago. Probably a search for Abdullah Ibrahim would bring it up.

ubu

Alas, King Ubu, other than this GREAT new album, which is really quite startling in its technical competency, and the two "Jazz In Africa" albums that you recommended last year, my own extensive jazz collection lacks South African jazz. I have asked my one friend in SA who is into jazz to recommend some other things for me. Based upon our previous discussions of this topic, you have a better collection than most. But whatever Dave turns up, I will pass on to you.

I envy you the ability to get material like this off radio broadcasts .... we can only dream of such things here in Houston.

Garth.

Alas, King Ubu, other than this GREAT new album, which is really quite startling in its technical competency, and the two "Jazz In Africa" albums that you recommended last year, my own extensive jazz collection lacks South African jazz. I have asked my one friend in SA who is into jazz to recommend some other things for me. Based upon our previous discussions of this topic, you have a better collection than most. But whatever Dave turns up, I will pass on to you.

I envy you the ability to get material like this off radio broadcasts .... we can only dream of such things here in Houston.

Garth.

Garth, please do tell me about whatever your friend comes up with!

Those broadcasts were a series on one german station, that has pretty much good stuff going on.

I wonder if some of the same musicians are on the disc you recommend. Could you give a listing of the musicians, or are there too many?

ubu

• 1 month later...

I did order this disc, along with a book - although in a buying freeze, but I had to add something in order to get free shipping from Amazon... It takes 1-2 weeks till they have the CD (hope this is not a bad sign!), but I look forward to hearing this music very much!

ubu

I assume you have the Blue Notes "Township Bop" CD? Pretty great early stuff from McGregor, Nick Moyake and company. Though it does have that McMaster-style repetition of alternate takes...

I have that CD, but it seems in another edition, as mine does have no alternates. Love the music, though! That Ellington tune with the Latin beat! Wow!

On what label is your CD? Mine's on Proper, I picked it up for almost nothing, in some sale. It has got a nice liner essai with some photos, too, telling the story of the Blue Notes exile etc.

ubu

Ubu,

I believe mine is on Proper as well, but it has a few alternates. Can't remember which the alternates are, though! Moyake's a mother... think I'll bust it out tonight.

C

Edit: "The Blessing Light" and "Kay" have alternates on my copy, right after the first takes.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Ubu,

I believe mine is on Proper as well, but it has a few alternates. Can't remember which the alternates are, though! Moyake's a mother... think I'll bust it out tonight.

C

Edit: "The Blessing Light" and "Kay" have alternates on my copy, right after the first takes.

Clifford - you're right, of course, my disc has these same two alternates, but I was not aware of that when I posted (at work) - which also means I was not bothered. I love the disc, however! Is any of the Blue Note's Ogun stuff on CD?

ubu

Ubu,

I don't know if "For Mongesi" and "For Johnny" are on CD; I don't believe so. What's the deal with those Ogun discs anyway? Seems like they put out a couple (Ark, BOB in Wilisau) and then stopped.

Someone ought to bootleg that Chris McGregor/Blue Notes LP on Polydor, "Very Urgent." I'm sick of looking for it!

Guest ariceffron

i dunno if its from the south but manu dabango- this one mid 70s lp i have on pink 8 track and its like the funkiest 8 trak ever- long african funk jams from the late 70s

I had first listen to the Heads Up CD last night - and I do like it!

I think it has to grow onto me - I have to get used first to some of the more generic, and quite contemporary-sounding rhythm sections and sound mixes.

Barney Rachabane is killer, though! I know him from a few tracks on the Kaz/Camden discs, not sure with or without Ibrahim. Otherwise, most of the musicians were unknown to me (some of them, though, were featured in those radio programmes I mentioned, some months ago, such as McCoy Mwrubata (sp?)).

Thanks, however, very much, for making me buy this CD! I'll listen more, and I know I'll end up liking it a lot!

ubu :tup

I am very pleased you enjoyed the album, Ubu. I, too, have grown to enjoy it more as I listened to it. South African "mainstream" jazz has certainly come along way since I grew up with it. I wonder how much the influence of visiting American musicians and teachers such as Dave Brubeck's son have had an influence. But, as you we both appreciate that African "bite" is there and it makes it just that more "edgier" than American or European jazz ...

BTW, watch out for your mail ....

Garth.

I am very pleased you enjoyed the album, Ubu. I, too, have grown to enjoy it more as I listened to it. South African "mainstream" jazz has certainly come along way since I grew up with it. I wonder how much the influence of visiting American musicians and teachers such as Dave Brubeck's son have had an influence. But, as you we both appreciate that African "bite" is there and it makes it just that more "edgier" than American or European jazz ...

BTW, watch out for your mail ....

Garth.

I do watch out for my mail, yet nothing so far...

ubu

• 6 months later...

You may already be aware of this ubu but the Jazz Epistles who appear on the compilation album were South Africa's first bebop band. Their line-up included Dollar Brand, Kippie Moeketsi, Jonas Gwangwa and Hugh Masekela among them. In 1960, the Jazz Epistles recorded their first and only album, Jazz Epistle Verse One. A few years ago Camden did a release of their recordings on CD. South African pianist Bheki Mseleku lived in the UK for a number of years during the apartheid era in South Africa.

Edited by Phil Meloy