How good are the 80 BN anniversary?

porcy62

Always wanted a vinyl copy of Herbie's Inventions And Dimentions, never found a reasonabled priced japanese copy, forget about the originals, they were expensive 15 years ago, now they are among luxury goods like Rolex or BMW convertible.

Any experience with the BN anniversary reissues?

Edited by porcy62

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I have a Music Matters 2x45 rpm of this one - pretty good.

Strange that good condition mono originals of this title seem so scarce.

I missed the MM back then, now is beyond 100 bucks, btw I hate 45 rpm records I go regularly to gym, no need to flip the record every ten minutes. Mono originals are 400 bucks and beyond, apparently there was only one japanese reissue, other BN's had been reissued three or four times in Japan.

Edited by porcy62

This thread has got me to dig the Music Matters out. Outstanding !  I’ve never heard the mono BN but I fail to see how they could improve much on this one, it has bags of dynamism and the latin percussion jumps out of the right speaker. Sorry if I come across as a Hoffman  Maniac :D. Is it worth $100 - probably, if the originals are fetching more than that.

Absolutely blows away every CD version I have ever heard of this !

Edited by sidewinder

In my opinion, the 80th Anniversary issues are just as good as the Tone Poet issues with the exception that they use cheaper LP art and press them at Pallas in Germany instead of at RTI on the US. Some would say that being pressed at Pallas is a good thing. Both are mastered and cut at Cohearant Audio by Kevin Gray and have similar audio signatures. Gray also mastered and cut the Music Matters LPs.

I don't think you can go wrong with one of these pressings as long as sub-par artwork doesn't bother you. Some of the cover scans on these LPs are pretty bad.

Edited by bresna

I know this is about vinyl, but I have the Blue Note Works CD, and it sounds great. I have the one alternate take, which is in the 90s U.S. complete Hancock set, and that sounds great, too.

This is a favorite album of mine, and it has been played many times. I like to join in on Latin percussion. And, no annoying tenor saxophone to have to deal with, lol.