Ridiculous statement regarding vinyl dynamic range

Daniel A

But again, if you ever play a CD that goes out of it's way to take advantage of as much dynamic range as possible, the quiet passages will be extremely quiet and this is the problem, not the louder passages. If you touting this Feldman CD because it's explosive, you're not talking about a CD with super-wide dynamic range.

I always liked Schubert's Symphony No. 8 - Unfinished, so when CDs came out, I picked this up: https://www.discogs.com/Mendelssohn-Schubert-Philharmonia-Orchestra-Sinopoli-Schubert-Symphony-No8-Unfinished-Mendelssohn-Sy/release/7516381

R-7516381-1444503461-6793.jpeg.jpg

This CD utilizes a lot of those 96 dBs of dynamic range.

I have some symphonic CDs with a dynamic range that was so wide, there was no single volume at which you could listen to them.  Either the quiet passages disappeared, or the loud passages woke the neighbors.  I had to load into ProTools and compress/limit in order to make them listenable.   They are now very good, but it should not be the listener's job to finish someone else's album. 

Dynamic range is overrated.  

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I have some symphonic CDs with a dynamic range that was so wide, there was no single volume at which you could listen to them.  Either the quiet passages disappeared, or the loud passages woke the neighbors.  I had to load into ProTools and compress/limit in order to make them listenable.   They are now very good, but it should not be the listener's job to finish someone else's album. 

Dynamic range is overrated.  

Exactly. The problem is that it has now swung way too far in the other direction, with mastering engineers compressing some recordings so much that it's a wall of sound. No nuances. No soft passages. Everything is "right there" in an "in your face" way.

i gotcha, the classical should have even more dynamic range from that way- but the feldman is the most authentic recording ive ever heard, and it does have the range, but maybe not in the way a classical cd does

On 2/1/2020 at 6:04 AM, erwbol said:

I listened to some YouTube clips of Victor Feldman's Secret of the Andes and it's pure easy listening nonsense. Why would I care if it is great sonically?

are you not into victor feldman generation band yet my guy?  my favorite 80s fusion--

Image result for victor feldman smooth Image result for victor feldman smooth

On 1.2.2020 at 11:56 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

u did it!!!!!!!!!!! congrats.  (you got the nautilus just like the pic right?)  i've a/b'd it with the direct to disc- it was more like direct to the trash can.  No comparison whatsoever.  Whatsoever.  

The issue I got from a Berlin shop was the TBA CD reissue. Indeed a very wide dynamic range, has to be played loud to hear the full range (oh my lucky neighbours ....). I think JVC had a hand in initiating this recording. Sounds like a typical direct-to-disc album, very clear and detailed, no distortion, not even on the electric keyboard, guitar, and bass - I wonder how they did it, by direct inputs or miking the amps. Sounds like the band is in the room. Must be a terrific soundstage when played back on high end equipment. The music is nice, similar to that cooperative band Ritenour and Grusin had, Friendship.

The problem with many classical recordings is that they use very large rooms that narrow some of the dynamics with small ensembles. Too much room ambience in many cases, at least for my taste.

Edited by mikeweil

• 1 month later...

I've always thought 'dynamic range' and 'dynamics' are two different things, one being the difference between loudest and quietist sounds on a recording and the other being the difference between loudest and quietist simultaneous sounds. It's been a while since I've taken much interest in things audiophile and I'm not finding the sources online to confirm this now... am I talking rubbish?