Larry Kart

Cheap sonic upgrade

49 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, bresna said:

Just remember that "sound" to humans is merely what our mind does with those electrical signals from our nerves when those little hairs in our ears vibrate. As such, our mind can and will play it's usual tricks. Things that sounded good one way will sound better another... even if they are exactly the same. This is not something that's inherently wrong or right and its's definitely not something you can fix.

Expectation bias is a well understood example of the human subconscious mind at work. It's not woo or really science, unless you stick to the technical definition that biology is a science. It's just a natural thing our minds do.

If you hear an improvement - good for you. Go for it.

One thing to leave you with is this - companies that manufacture these sound improvement devices never publish any data to back their claims. This is precisely because they live off of your expectation biases and not on any measurable metric.

This is true. I can see how following some of these practices could produce a sense of satisfaction that you're doing everything possible to squeeze the maximum amount of enjoyment out of your musical listening. OTOH, this sword cuts both ways. If you feel that your music sounds worse when you listen in the daylight or you have to restart the CD from the beginning every time you get up to use the bathroom, then your expectation bias is working against you. 

12 minutes ago, bresna said:

Just remember that "sound" to humans is merely what our mind does with those electrical signals from our nerves when those little hairs in our ears vibrate.

And remember - it's vibrations from an external source that triggers all of this, and not necessarily just in our little ear hairs!

To get that special Black Ark sound, Lee Perry used to blow ganja smoke over the tapes, then bury them in his back yard. Anyone tried that?

Surprised that audiophiles haven't yet addressed the weakest link in the chain: the air.  After all, music has to travel through the air to reach your ears, and there can be all sorts of qualities in the air in your home that could degrade the signal and give you a sub-optimal listening experience.  What you need is a hermetically-sealed listening room with audiophile-quality air pumped in and constantly monitored to insure peak transparency.  You don't want air that's too excitable, nor air that's too flat; humidity, ozone, ions, particulates and air pressure are all factors to consider.  Someone should start working on this.

My ceiling fans have me convinced that every record ever made was recorded through a Leslie.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Surprised that audiophiles haven't yet addressed the weakest link in the chain: the air.  After all, music has to travel through the air to reach your ears, and there can be all sorts of qualities in the air in your home that could degrade the signal and give you a sub-optimal listening experience.  What you need is a hermetically-sealed listening room with audiophile-quality air pumped in and constantly monitored to insure peak transparency.  You don't want air that's too excitable, nor air that's too flat; humidity, ozone, ions, particulates and air pressure are all factors to consider.  Someone should start working on this.

And don't forget the dire effects of farting.

10 hours ago, mjzee said:

"Right here I want the sound of thick air." -- Bob Weir, 1967

TBH the best way I've found to make music sound better is to get drunk. Maybe I should market a brand of audiophile vodka.

This could really be hazardous to good listening atmospherics:

Image result for john martyn solid air

18 hours ago, mjzee said:

Well, considering that according to physics music depends on the moving of air, the percentage of umidity and the presence of different particles in the atmosphere influences for sure the sound, in vacuum there's no music. IMO a smoke saturated ambient is much closer to the original fifties and sixties jazz clubs then a pair of headphone wired to spotify. This is the reason because I listen to jazz playing old records, smoking my pipes and drinking Martini.

Edited by porcy62

this is all why I have stopped listening to anything. If I cannot have the purest experience I don't want the experience at all.

1 hour ago, porcy62 said:

IMO a smoke saturated ambient is much closer to the original fifties and sixties jazz clubs then a pair of headphone wired to spotify. This is the reason because I listen to jazz playing old records, smoking my pipes and drinking Martini.

In a room by yourself?

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

In a room by yourself?

Usually I do a lot of conversations to other immaginary people, sometime I break glasses.

Do you have somebody taking drink orders, running a blender, and ringing a cash register?

Perhaps most importantly - does your bathroom smell like a toilet?

If you can answer yes to all of these questions, you go to the bonus round. 100 points for every hooker and dealer you have at the bar. 150 points for every one of them you know by name.

Sounds like you might be getting close to winning, so don't stop now!

No points, but you get to skip a round!

You're playing like a pro, very much enjoying it!

Big Leg is asking if you're making trouble here, and no, he's not glad to see you, that's not what that is.

Though I cut my live jazz teeth at the Empty Foxhole Cafe, which was in the basement of a Catholic Church on my college campus and they sold cookies and stuff.  But they brought in Archie Shepp, Cecil Taylor, Sun Ra Heath Bros., Eddie Jefferson, etc (those are who I remember seeing there).

https://phillyjazz.us/2015/03/08/genos-empty-foxhole-2/

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Big Leg is asking if you're making trouble here, and no, he's not glad to see you, that's not what that is.

Just remind Big Leg I married the youngest daughter of Don Carmine, there is no need to say more.

Edited by porcy62

Big Leg says he has no problem with you, it's that other guy, the one that thinks he's funny, that he's looking at.

Ok then, just tell Big Leg to do it clean. Publicity is no good for business.

Edited by porcy62