Support for Jimmy Cobb

Misterioso

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, bresna said:

The Jazz Foundation of America was established just for situations like this. Has the family contacted them? If not, they should. They might be able to take care of this in a more private fashion.

https://jazzfoundation.org/

Perhaps you could alert the Foundation, and they in turn can reach out to the family. Meanwhile, people who want to help can do so. I don't know if there's such a thing as too much caring or too much help.

I actually did reach out to the Jazz Foundation and I also messaged Jimmy's daughter via her Go Fund Me. I hope they can help as well.

I am just a little leery about these Go Fund Me things after that Kenny Burrell campaign. I don't think we ever got the whole story there to this day.

I'd almost rather we support the Jazz Foundation instead of individual artists like these Go Fund Me pages. The Jazz Foundation support all artists due to their need and not due to their relative fame. Kenny Burrell's campaign raised over $250,000. If that same money was in the non-profit Jazz Foundation's coffers, they could give support to many more musicians.

Edited by bresna

38 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

No kidding.  Friends of mine from the UK and Canada profess shock and horror at the cost of medical care in the United States.  

I always viewed it as the other side of the coin in the way that the system is run. Low tax economy with more responsibility on the individual, less of a safety net.

7 hours ago, bresna said:

I actually did reach out to the Jazz Foundation and I also messaged Jimmy's daughter via her Go Fund Me. I hope they can help as well.

I am just a little leery about these Go Fund Me things after that Kenny Burrell campaign. I don't think we ever got the whole story there to this day.

I'd almost rather we support the Jazz Foundation instead of individual artists like these Go Fund Me pages. The Jazz Foundation support all artists due to their need and not due to their relative fame. Kenny Burrell's campaign raised over $250,000. If that same money was in the non-profit Jazz Foundation's coffers, they could give support to many more musicians.

Agree, this Go Fund Me, like the one for KB, is a bit off and inconsistent.

Why is Mr. Cobb listed as the organizer instead of his daughter? Where is wife Eleana? 

I'm curious what kind of response you or the Jazz Foundation get.

3 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

More responsibility yes, but when you're ill the last thing you need is more responsibility. And even when we're healthy, finding healthcare and health insurance is a PITA. Also, governments can keep costs lower, whereas in US we're at the mercy of the healthcare providers and insurers, who can charge whatever they like. I'd gladly give up my personal responsibility in exchange for convenience and security.

Well - you know what the answer is then. Pay more tax individually and corporate and implement an effective safety net for all.

27 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

More responsibility yes, but when you're ill the last thing you need is more responsibility. And even when we're healthy, finding healthcare and health insurance is a PITA. Also, governments can keep costs lower, whereas in US we're at the mercy of the healthcare providers and insurers, who can charge whatever they like. I'd gladly give up my personal responsibility in exchange for convenience and security.

100%

17 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

LOL, not possible with the Republicans in charge.

Or in America at all, really. The whole "taxation is theft" thing runs deep - and across party lines, really, at least until most of us Bommers are dead. I just hope that the X-ers anx Millenials, etc end up being the equivalent of Yuppies like the "hip"pies did. If they don't, then maybe the mass consciousness can shift away from viewing a consensual collective approach to anything as being something that, by gosh, might actually be even potentially helpful for the individual instead of an insidious attempt to enslave them to some vague boogeyman "government". Then (and only then) will we be able to have an objective discussion about the realities rahter then the emo meltdowns about "philosophy" and "moralitiy" that inevitably arise (from all sides) whenever money comes into play in America.

But hey - I ain't gonna live that long. And even if I did, we both know that today's idealists are tomorrows pigs (or aspiring pigs) waaaay more often than not.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

I'd gladly give up my personal responsibility in exchange for convenience and security.

I would never give up my personal responsibility.

I would, however, more than gladly redirect it towards contributing to a significantly more efficient and effective healthcare system, no matter what form that takes.

17 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Have we all forgotten that the Jazz Foundation's response to KB's (or his wife's) request for help was "start a gofundme"? 

True, but the Go Fund Me's goal was $100,000. They didn't close the fund when they reached their goal. The fund now sits at $250,000, which I think is about $100,000 lower than the amount they actually raised. That extra $150,000 could do a lot of good for a lot more lesser-known Jazz musicians in the hands of the Jazz Foundation. The amount of financial aid shouldn't be tied to the artist's fame.

FWIW, I do think that the Burrell campaign and all the weirdness around it, is going to negatively affect campaigns like this one.

I am sorry, but none of this makes sense without some kind of detail, of which there is very very little in the appeal. I just got through with very intensive cancer treatments, and medicare plus medicare supplemental covered  over 98 percent (and my bills for 7 weeks of treatment were about $250,000).  At his age he can easily get the same; maybe he needs skilled nursing home treatment and, though that can wipe you out, it is do-able -

unless, and this may very well be what is happening, they are trying to get the cash for treatment so his assets aren't spent all the way down, as they are when you need nursing care. But they need to explain it. I would never give money without a complete understanding of the situation.

Edited by AllenLowe

Michael Cuscuna mentioned the fundraiser in the Jazz Gazette that just came out so based on his support I'd feel comfortable making a contribution:

"Jimmy Cobb ranks as one of the greatest drummers in jazz. Tony Williams named him as his prime influence. He worked with Dinah Washington, Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Wynton Kelly and Wes Montgomery to name but a few. He was both innovative and unerringly tasteful; that rare distinction belongs to a very few, like Grady Tate. Now at 91, health issues threaten Jimmy Cobb’s ability to play. This fund for his medical expenses is a chance for everyone to say thanks with whatever donation that they can afford. -Michael Cuscuna"

22 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Are you saying that the $150K above the original request might have been donated to the Jazz Foundation instead in different circumstances? That's assuming 1) JF were doing a good job of fundraising, which it doesn't seem to be, and 2) KB's donors would have responded to a request for donations to JF in the same way. I think KB's campaign was so successful because people saw it as a way to immediately and directly help one beloved person, whereas it's not so gratifying to give money to a foundation to be spent on some old jazz guy you've never even heard of.

Then again, sometimes people are just dopes.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:08 AM, Captain Howdy said:

Are you saying that the $150K above the original request might have been donated to the Jazz Foundation instead in different circumstances? That's assuming 1) JF were doing a good job of fundraising, which it doesn't seem to be, and 2) KB's donors would have responded to a request for donations to JF in the same way. I think KB's campaign was so successful because people saw it as a way to immediately and directly help one beloved person, whereas it's not so gratifying to give money to a foundation to be spent on some old jazz guy you've never even heard of.

I hope you’re not suggesting that Jimmy Cobb is somebody you’ve never heard of. 

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I hope you’re not suggesting that Jimmy Cobb is somebody you’ve never heard of. 

I'm afraid that most "casual" jazz fans would only know who Jimmy Cobb is would be if you told them that he was the drummer on Kind Of Blue. And even then, probably nothing past that.

Not saying that Ol' Cap here is such a person, but for people who don't get all the way into the music that Cobb has played over the years, the name probably means little, if anything. That's probably part of why Cuscuna spelt it out in the detail that he did.

Plenty of controversy surrounded the KB Go Fund Me and still does. Either Jazz Foundation is bullshit or it isn't. That's a call people have to make. Same with this GFM, and I for one still feel it is odd.

As an example, when I try to look at Mr. Cobb's website I get a warning that it has been compromised.  Coincidence? 

Isn´t Jimmy Cobb married with that fascinating and famous Lady Eleana (former Steinberg) who also sang on Dave Liebman´s "Drum Ode" and who later became even more famous as she told the world very lot About Miles Davis during his "un years" when she took him out of NY, brought him back to Music and can also be seen on a Studio photo with Miles (who had become quite fat during that time) , that misterious 1978 sessios with Larry Coryell, where Miles only played organ ? 

• 3 months later...