Kirk Douglas has died at 103.

7 hours ago, Dave James said:

"Bad and the Beautiful" is the one that stands out for me.  I also enjoyed some of his later films including the incredibly campy, "Final Countdown."  "Splash the Zeros.  I say again, splash the Zeros."  Silliness ensues.  

I will take the opportunity to post a suite of David Raksin's wonderful music for this film.  RIP, Kirk!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

4 hours ago, porcy62 said:

The last Giant of Hollywood, he was the first to want Dalton Trumbo back on credits despite McCarthyism, a brave man too. RIP.

Yep. He was also perhaps the last of a generation that lived their life with class, courtesy and an ability to separate politics from everyday life and friendships.

He wrote a touching tribute about Nancy Reagan when she passed a few years back that really showed what type of man he was. RIP

5 minutes ago, catesta said:

Yep. He was also perhaps the last of a generation that lived their life with class, courtesy and an ability to separate politics from everyday life and friendships.

He wrote a touching tribute about Nancy Reagan when she passed a few years back that really showed what type of man he was. RIP

Absolutely agree.

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Apples and oranges?

Well, if you're looking at solo fruits, sure. But if you're looking at a fruit salad, context. The dude predated the invention of bebop and outlived its usefulness. Who among us here today can make a claim like that? And if we perchance can, what stories we must have seen and lived, and not just in one world.

I mean, Kirk Douglas weren't no village grandmother in Czxitabolia. The guy got out in the world. Out and around.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Well, if you're looking at solo fruits, sure. But if you're looking at a fruit salad, context. The dude predated the invention of bebop and outlived its usefulness. Who among us here today can make a claim like that? And if we perchance can, what stories we must have seen and lived, and not just in one world.

I mean, Kirk Douglas weren't no village grandmother in Czxitabolia. The guy got out in the world. Out and around.

Sorry -- I  completely misunderstood the thrust of your "think about that" to mean that there was something wrong/unfair about Kirk Douglas living so long and Charlie Parker dying some 65 years before Douglas did.