Pharaoh Sanders live in Paris (1975) ORTF source

cliffpeterson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Utterly ridiculous, where is the business sense of these people, much like the Frank Low / Rashid Ali item , if they are not going to bother with cd then i'll just download illegally, they need to realise that there is still a good market for jazz cds and most people (on here at least) like a physical product and are unlikely to pay for digital files, the cost to produce cds is negligible comparatively.

4 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

No CD = ignoring 10 disgruntled dudes at Organissimo. Not exactly "the market". CDs are 7% of the music sales (that's in the US, might be even less in Europe).      

its still considerably more than vinyl sales!, in the uk last year 28 million cds were sold and 4.3 million LPs, by your logic why bother with vinyl either.

An interesting read

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/feature/saturday-deluxe-18-january-2020/#more-155797

17 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

No CD = ignoring 10 disgruntled dudes at Organissimo. Not exactly "the market". CDs are 7% of the music sales (that's in the US, might be even less in Europe).      

Still believe that CD sales are considerably higher than vinyl .... and vinyl likely has higher production cost too .... but anyway, not my sales pitch so why bother ....

Vynil is a higher-margin product and is a growing, if microscopic, segment (although I think it is a stupid fad that will die out fairly soon). CDs are a declining segment with collapsed pricing. Yes, there were 28M CDs sold in the UK last year - it is 100M less than 10 years ago (and at lower prices too). Downloads are bullshit too, declining even faster than CDs. Streaming is the format of the future - and indeed of today.

LPs are somewhat more difficult to pirate than CDs, this might also be a reason why some musicians / labels prefer them.   

Edited by Д.Д.

52 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

LPs are somewhat more difficult to pirate than CDs, this might also be a reason why some musicians / labels prefer them.   

35+ years later, the industry is possibly, finally grasping this most obvious of facts. Of course, only after getting that first surge of sunami-like revenue of novelty money.

Geniuses!

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

35+ years later, the industry is possibly, finally grasping this most obvious of facts. Of course, only after getting that first surge of sunami-like revenue of novelty money.

Geniuses!

Also helps me to stop spending money, since I'm still committed to the novelty format.  I do have lots of Pharoah Sanders on those shiny coaster thingys.^_^  

Yeah, I ain't buying too many more new  LPs going forth. That horse done left the barn, I don't care how many times it limps back home, I'll feed it and keep it dry, because after all, what kind of a human would do otherwise to such a noble specimen of god's glorious majesty? But I'll not be saddling it up and giving it a good (and honest!) days work, like we used to do back in the days before we had robots and laser beams

Never got rid of mine. I'm pleased about that.

Today I've streamed, listened to an LP and a couple of CDs. I may even listen to a download later.

I think I just like newly-released music too much to allow the delivery method to hamper my choice.i remember holding out against CDs for a good while - too expensive, required new kit, enjoyed LPs until there was a Tim Berne release I really wanted but on CD only, 'Fractured Fairy Tales' iirc.

It's all personal choice after all but it does make me smile when a thread like this once again, and there's been many recently, ends up being all about formats rather than music.

Still looking forward to hearing the Pharaoh...

5 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

100 percent.

I really don't care what format something is in as long as I can listen to it and enjoy it.

80-85% of my listening is done at work - one of the great advantages of having an IT job (thank you Microsoft for changing corporate culture).  Life gets in the way of listening at home (how to feed and nurture a marriage, have friends, raise a family including a grandson, etc). Not sure how my corporate employer would take to me having a turntable in here (actually, I am sure....).  Also, vinyl takes so much room, and I already have a shortage of that.    I have been trading vinyl for CD's with another wonderful board member, which has been win-win for both of us, as he now greatly prefers vinyl, and has the situation to support that.  I do understand the appeal of vinyl (somewhat), but it's not for me at this point.  But I like a tangible "thing" that I can handle and curate, not computer file bits.  Just me, not for everyone.  All good wherever one comes down, just thankful to live in such an amazing day and age where so much is available to us, including a lot of great music from the 50's and 60's I thought I'd never get to hear back in my earlier days.

Ditched the turntable about 20 years ago, no interest in vinyl (cost, hassle).

Nothing in principle against downloads/streaming. Haven't yet gone those routes because I'd have to purchase more audio equipment - seems I'd need some kind of DAC that can access computer files and connect to my amplifier and speakers. 

[Added: I live in a rural area and have only had broadband access for about 6 months. Prior to that, downloads and streaming were not feasible.]

Edited by T.D.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I ain't buying too many more new  LPs going forth. That horse done left the barn, I don't care how many times it limps back home, I'll feed it and keep it dry, because after all, what kind of a human would do otherwise to such a noble specimen of god's glorious majesty? But I'll not be saddling it up and giving it a good (and honest!) days work, like we used to do back in the days before we had robots and laser beams

plus it sh*ts all over the place. Mine is now glue.

So what about the music? It definitely looks interesting and this was a nice period in Sanders' catalog. It was also much of a transitional phase. From the more loud free jazz influenced spiritual jazz to the calmer sometimes a bit too smooth for my taste kind of jazz. What's on this one?

On 2/6/2020 at 0:27 PM, Д.Д. said:

What about all the people who shop for CDs in physical and online stores but aren't heavily involved with the internet who will never even know this release exists?

1 hour ago, Pim said:

So what about the music? It definitely looks interesting and this was a nice period in Sanders' catalog. It was also much of a transitional phase. From the more loud free jazz influenced spiritual jazz to the calmer sometimes a bit too smooth for my taste kind of jazz. What's on this one?

It actually sounds really great sound wise going by the bandcamp sample and is that period just after the Impulse years and the one album he made for India Navigation, i’m not that familiar with the other players in the band though.

1 hour ago, Pim said:

Nice to have a post about the music. I agree it's a transitional stage. Interesting that it's just a quartet whilst the contemporaneous albums, or at least from the year previously, were with more musicians.

Track listing is linked here

https://transversales.bandcamp.com/album/live-in-paris-1975

I don't know the piano player Mixon, also on organ which is intriguing. Other players are Pharaoh regulars.

I think this could be a very nice issue

Edited by mjazzg