Pharaoh Sanders live in Paris (1975) ORTF source

cliffpeterson

11 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Nice to have a post about the music. I agree it's a transitional stage. Interesting that it's just a quartet whilst the contemporaneous albums, or at least from the year previously, were with more musicians.

Track listing is linked here

https://transversales.bandcamp.com/album/live-in-paris-1975

I don't know the piano player Nixon, also on organ which is intriguing. Other players are Pharaoh regulars.

I think this could be a very nice issue

Danny Mixon played with Betty Carter, on Mingus "Cumbia & Jazz Fusion" and on the good Danny Richmond "Ode To Mingus" album ....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, erwbol said:

What about all the people who shop for CDs in physical and online stores but aren't heavily involved with the internet who will never even know this release exists?

On 2/6/2020 at 0:27 PM, Д.Д. said:

No CD = ignoring 10 disgruntled dudes at Organissimo. Not exactly "the market". CDs are 7% of the music sales (that's in the US, might be even less in Europe).      

They should survive this somehow.  

On 8.2.2020 at 6:57 PM, soulpope said:

Danny Mixon played with Betty Carter, on Mingus "Cumbia & Jazz Fusion" and on the good Danny Richmond "Ode To Mingus" album ....

Agreed. Danny Mixon was a very fine piano player and played the organ too. He was lesser known than let´s say Don Pullen, but his piano work on Mingus´ 1976 tour band (I´m thinking About Mingus at Willisau and Mingus in Vienna) is great and he could play all styles, also very fine stride piano. 

About Pharoah Sanders I´d also say that 1975 must have been a period of Transition. Not so much is known About this period. We all knew his work on Impulse, with Trane or on his own Albums, above all "Karma", and later in the early 80´s he came back to the Scene, but in a more traditional manner with a classic ts, p, b, dr  quartet, like Archie Shepp. Those two free jazz Icons still had much to say, but they also reached a wider audience playing standards too…..

"Disco" is a misnomer. He made one album produced by Norman Connors that was R&B Pop. Not his best record by a long shot, but there was this single, with vocal by Phyllis Hyman, that sounded REALLY good on the radio back in the day.

I mean, if you don't like it, you don't like it. But I myself do like it very much.

Either way, that's not in the least bit Disco, nor is the rest of the record. At least not Disco a I would call it.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Pharoah made some disco moves in the late 70s too, if memory serves. On Arista, maybe? I tend to avoid that era of his music, as well as some others'.

He did make some more commercial sounding stuff. A bit too smooth to my taste too. But this record is from before that period. 

16 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

My favourite Pharoah Sanders Album that was made after the 60´s/early 70´s  is this one: It has all: a classic quartet, on one tune  vocals added, one tune some happy african chant, and also some boppish stuff (Dameron´s "Misty Night"). 

Unbenannt.png

Another Theresa winner .... :

R-4074227-1354372696-5592.jpeg.jpg

Btw John Hicks is wonderful here ....

oh yes I have this also ! Actually I bought it before I bought "Heart is a Melody" .  I think this Album "Live"  was advertised in "Jazz Podium" during the time it appeared. That´s how I got to purchase it. And shortly afterwards seeing Pharoah live with his quartet. I remember William Henderson was on piano. But I don´t remember the Bassist and the Drummer (1985 Holabrun Lower Austria) 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, cliffpeterson said:

According to Dusty Groove, this recording will be released on cd in April, 2021, presumably because the Japanese market demands it to be so:

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/979452?cat=jazz&incl_cs=1&no_incl_in=1&sort_order=release_date

Hooray for the Japanese market!  Pre-order coming.  Now we need the Nathan Davis on CD.