• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/jimmy-wynn-astros-great-dies-at-78

There are many here with more memories of Wynn than me, as my knowledge and interest in baseball really starts in the early 70s but I do recall that "Toy Cannon" was to me the coolest nickname ever when I first heard it.

Oh yeah, I got memories!

RaderWynn.jpg

13822473.jpg

and yes, that is Harry Kallas...

73-185Bk.jpg

Why yes, he does!

Man, I loved “This Week In Baseball.”  My brothers and I watched that show religiously.  I really liked the closing theme music, and I think I may have even written NBC at some point to ask what it was... was it a Copland piece? 

EDIT: these questions are so much easier to answer in the age of the Internets. The closing theme is “Gathering Crowds” by John Scott:

This Week In Baseball Wikipedia entry

Edited by ghost of miles

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Extended version with lots of good and amusing 80s highlights... damn, I miss baseball. :(

This was good but the best part of TWIB from the past aren't the familiar highlights and names but the guys you barely remember, or just now, Whitey Herzog without gray hair, and having just been hired by the Cardinals. Or the look at rookies making a splash ... Bull Durham (didn't even know he was with the Cards before the Cubs) and Jeff Reardon with the Mets, with about half of the beard that he would ultimately sport, and with 15 big league seasons ahead of him. 

I've probably mentioned this before but in 1983 my father took me to Vegas during my senior year for the NATPE convention (National Association of Television Program Executives) and introduced me to Mel Allen who was in the booth of whatever company was selling that show back then. I remember his enormous hands, and what I guess was a NY Yankee World Series ring. I was pretty much in awe and I don't think I put together more than 4 words while standing there.

17 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Hank Steinbrenner has died.  RIP.

Bit of a shocker, though he's taken a backseat to Hal in recent years.  Not COVID-19 related, apparently.  However, the death of 48-year-old NY Post sports photographer Anthony Causi was:

New York sports figures share in grieving over death of 48-year-old NY Post sports photographer Anthony Causi

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Too bad about Hank. He was the one who could have created a reinstatement of the worst of his dear old Dad.

He was in the mold of his father, a mini captain bluster. The family, in their statement, noted “he could be direct and outspoken,” to put it mildly.

The Post noted he “displayed a resemblance to his father’s bold approach to running the club.”

His brother was a big improvement.