• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why the players are objecting to MLB’s requests:

Five reasons why MLB players are objecting to owners' 50-50 revenue split for 2020 season

Although baseball didn’t know in April the length of the shutdown and had probably only started to formulate plans to address the shutdown, they should have been talking to the players as soon as possible, as partners. The odds seem to be fairly long that there will be a season this year. At the very least, this will allow both sides to have plans in place for 2021. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Why the players are objecting to MLB’s requests:

Five reasons why MLB players are objecting to owners' 50-50 revenue split for 2020 season

Although baseball didn’t know in April the length of the shutdown and had probably only started to formulate plans to address the shutdown, they should have been talking to the players as soon as possible, as partners. The odds seem to be fairly long that there will be a season this year. At the very least, this will allow both sides to have plans in place for 2021. 

Interesting article, thanks for posting. I always tend to be on the side of the players when it comes to money. Professional careers tend to be short, and especially in the NFL, brutal, so get the money while you can, because for 90% of the players, there won't be that much left after a career is over.

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

Interesting article, thanks for posting. I always tend to be on the side of the players when it comes to money. Professional careers tend to be short, and especially in the NFL, brutal, so get the money while you can, because for 90% of the players, there won't be that much left after a career is over.

That is my general feeling too. I never hold it against players to get what they can while they can. 

8 hours ago, Brad said:

I never hold it against players to get what they can while they can. 

I never hold it against anybody for trying. Nor for those from whom it is being sought for pushing back.

What I do hold it against any of then  them is when leverage is used as a blunt instrument and somebody goes all Cain & Abel with it.

33 minutes ago, Brad said:

The season is looking more doubtful after owners submitted a revised proposal that penalizes the higher paid players.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29224973/sources-mlb-proposal-includes-pay-cuts-highest-paid-players?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Sometimes I just wonder how MLB makes any money, it's the higher paid players that are the ones people want to see, not the utility players of the world. Great way to go into negotiations for a new CBA, piss off the money players.

MLB has agreed to honor the deal for prorated salaries made in March but has offered to the players a 60 game season. The players had offered 114. Jeff Passan thinks the number of games is a negotiating ploy and that they will settle at 82. 

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

When most of us were kids, each sport had a calendar season.  Now IMO all the pros start too early, end too late (except the Grey Cup), and play too many games in between (as Bill Veeck said about baseball).

I have enjoyed this respite without sports.

I have as well with the exception of boxing which returns (in a less than exciting match-up that I will absolutely be watching) next week. 

On 6/1/2020 at 6:33 PM, Brad said:

MLB has agreed to honor the deal for prorated salaries made in March but has offered to the players a 60 game season. The players had offered 114. Jeff Passan thinks the number of games is a negotiating ploy and that they will settle at 82. 

Apparently they’re back to square 1 and MLB is proposing a 50 game season. If true, it seems hardly worth the bother. 

30 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Baseball looks like their number one mission is to become completely irrelevant as a sport, and they're doing a great job at it, no wonder the NBA has blown past MLB in popularity.

Every other league in this country and around the world has agreed on returning but MLB is incapable of doing this. They’re sowing the seeds of their own demise. 

15 minutes ago, Brad said:

Here’s an article in yesterday’s Times about the squabbling.

As Baseball Squabbles Over Money, It Risks a ‘Disastrous’ Outcome

It's not just this ridiculous back-and-forth that's killing baseball, it's that its players have become invisible and inconsequential in today's world. Not getting into the politics of it, but it's NFL and NBA players who are out in front, making a positive contributions in the present situation. MLB? No where to be found. Now, there are those who feel that is a plus (James Dolan anyone?), but for this younger generation, I'm afraid MLB is lost to them.