• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Soulstation1 said:

This seems to be a global problem. In European football, black stars such as Raheem Sterling of Manchester City are regularly verbally abused. Here’s a relatively recent story, https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-51066328

24 minutes ago, Brad said:

The latest. The long and short of it is that negotiations have broken down and since MLB has the right to impose a 48 game season unilaterally, the Players Association has requested they do that and advise them where and when the players should report.

MLBPA rejects latest proposal, tells MLB to schedule the season

No matter how bad it gets, MLB always finds a way to make things worse!

On 6/8/2020 at 6:41 AM, Soulstation1 said:

I stopped following baseball the year they had to cancel the World Series due to the labor dispute/lockout, so it has been a while since I really paid close attention to the sport.  Still, this item from the above article really surprised me: 

Retired Yankees ace C.C. Sabathia said in 2017 that Fenway Park was the only Major League stadium where he’s heard the epithet ― and said he wasn’t alone.

“We know. There’s 62 of us,” he said, referring to the number of Black players in the majors at the time.

Only 62 players -- that seemed unusually low to me, especially given that there are way more teams now than when I was a kid.  I don't guess I ever really thought about it at the time, but given the presence in the 1970's of such high-profile players like Hank Aaron, Reggie Jackson, Joe Morgan, Dave Parker, Dave Winfield, Frank Robinson, Willie McCovey, Vida Blue, and my hometown heroes, Bob Gibson and Lou Brock, I probably assumed African Americans comprised a  larger percentage of MLB players back then.  Looking into it, I found this article which states, " By 1981, 18.7 percent of MLB players were African Americans. But by 2017, only 6.7 percent of MLB players were African Americans."

I am torn, as I would like my mother to be able to see her Cubs again and since she is turning 86 in a month one is very aware that she may not have many seasons left.

OTOH, the Red Sox are guaranteed to suck, bigly, and a lost season means another year without a Yankee championship which they were clearly primed for. So I have an interest in not only a completely missed season but maybe another work stoppage next year (doesn't the current agreement expire before 2021?) just means their expensive pitchers like that Astros mercenary will be another year older.  Nobody stops Father Time from doing his thing.

52 minutes ago, Matthew said:

No matter how bad it gets, MLB always finds a way to make things worse!

Sadly. 

1 minute ago, Dan Gould said:

I am torn, as I would like my mother to be able to see her Cubs again and since she is turning 86 in a month one is very aware that she may not have many seasons left.

OTOH, the Red Sox are guaranteed to suck, bigly, and a lost season means another year without a Yankee championship which they were clearly primed for. So I have an interest in not only a completely missed season but maybe another work stoppage next year (doesn't the current agreement expire before 2021?) just means their expensive pitchers like that Astros mercenary will be another year older.  Nobody stops Father Time from doing his thing.

My son thinks it’s better to close shop and wait until 2021 whereas my attitude that it’s better than nothing. This Covid problem is going to be with us next year and there is no assurance that a full season can be played.  Anything they can learn this year about dealing with Covid can only be helpful.

The current agreement expires at the end of 2021 and given the level of distrust (the players think they gave away too much during the last negotiations), a work stoppage seems likely. 

All MLB training camps to temporarily close after positive coronavirus tests

I believe most if not all of those camps are in Florida and Arizona, two of the worst states in the country right now when it comes to coronavirus. And apparently teams were planning to do pre-season workouts in their home stadiums anyway. Still, this doesn’t bode well for any kind of 2020 season.

Edited by ghost of miles

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

All MLB training camps to temporarily close after positive coronavirus tests

I believe most if not all of those camps are in Florida and Arizona, two of the worst states in the country right now when it comes to coronavirus. And apparently teams were planning to do pre-season workouts in their home stadiums anyway. Still, this doesn’t bode well for any kind of 2020 season.

MLB, NFL, NBA, tennis, college football, all feel there is some kind of magical location where they are impervious to the virus, with youth winning out -- good luck with that! Can you imagine the fall-out if someone dies? I realize there's a ton of money involved, but honestly, and I love sports, shut it down for 2020, so you can actually plan a season. I think I read that MLB has a 110 page protocol on what teams have to do... good luck with that..

Edited by Matthew

Based on the current state if “negotiations,” we don’t have to worry. I do t know who is worse, the owners or the union.  Frankly, the leadership of both should be replaced.

Although other leagues seems to have agreement and plans in place, the problem is that the virus has not been tamed in this country due to the fractured state of our politics. In Europe it has and this has allowed football to return first Germany, then Italy and Spain and even in England. Without unanimity on fighting the spread, the best laid plans, etc. as Burns said.

Edited by Brad

29 minutes ago, Brad said:

Based on the current state if “negotiations,” we don’t have to worry. I do t know who is worse, the owners or the union.  Frankly, the leadership of both should be replaced.

Although other leagues seems to have agreement and plans in place, the problem is that the virus has not been tamed in this country due to the fractured state of our politics. In Europe it has and this has allowed football to return first Germany, then Italy and Spain and even in England. Without unanimity on fighting the spread, the best laid plans, etc. as Burns said.

Yes, and in other countries what should be a straight-up public health issue hasn’t been turned into another front for the culture wars. Btw isn’t the NBA planning to resume its season and play all of its games in Orlando, Florida?! Welcome to one of the hottest Covid-19 states in the country! Just read about 23 Clemson football players/personnel testing positive as well. Yeah, this is gonna go great. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Yes, and in other countries what should be a straight-up public health issue hasn’t been turned into another front for the culture wars. Btw isn’t the NBA planning to resume its season and play all of its games in Orlando, Florida?! Welcome to one of the hottest Covid-19 states in the country! Just read about 23 Clemson football players/personnel testing positive as well. Yeah, this is gonna go great. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling nothing is going to stop the SEC from playing football...

40 players and other personnel have tested positive. It’s time to give up on baseball for this year. However, I don’t see the situation being any better come next March. If that is indeed the case, we may see several franchises filing for bankruptcy protection.

In addition, I can’t see the NFL, NBA and NHL being able to play this year. 

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

It’s time to give up on baseball for this year.  

Which brings up an interesting question, how does this impact pending free agency? I know one of the points of contention is service time, I would have to guess that:

The Dodgers retain control of Mookie Betts for the next regular season, whenever it comes about, because his eligibility for free agency is dependent upon completion of a season that counts as his sixth year

BUT

players with expiring contracts - assuming they are written as covering, for example, 2018 season thru final game of World Series, 2020, would become free agents in the Fall? Then again if players don't play and don't get paid, was the contract fulfilled?

14 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Which brings up an interesting question, how does this impact pending free agency? I know one of the points of contention is service time, I would have to guess that:

The Dodgers retain control of Mookie Betts for the next regular season, whenever it comes about, because his eligibility for free agency is dependent upon completion of a season that counts as his sixth year

BUT

players with expiring contracts - assuming they are written as covering, for example, 2018 season thru final game of World Series, 2020, would become free agents in the Fall? Then again if players don't play and don't get paid, was the contract fulfilled?

The agreement in March stipulated that 2020 would count as service time--but was that contingent on some sort of season actually being played?  I have no idea if there was any language in that March agreement that addressed the consequences of a season cancellation in that regard.  

Just now, ghost of miles said:

The agreement in March stipulated that 2020 would count as service time--but was that contingent on some sort of season actually being played?  I have no idea if there was any language in that March agreement that addressed the consequences of a season cancellation in that regard.  

So if 2020 counts as service time in the end, then the Dodgers lost a pretty good prospect for no Mookie. Verdugo had hit  .294/.342/.475 in 106 games before an injury cut his season short. Of course service time cuts both ways, Verdugo would also be closer to free agency, if he turns out to be a keeper.

The compromise has been rejected. Buster Olney tweeted that “And the dominoes are now likely set to tumble: 1. Implementation of a short season by MLB 2. Some players choosing not to play. 3. PA grievance 4. Upcoming free agents get destroyed in market 5. All major labor issues merely deferred to next spring. Mutually assured destruction.”

I think you’ll see a lot of players not choosing to report. 

I'm kinda lie, you know, fuck it. At this point, the illusions are all gone.

We need Loel Passe to tell us that we're in for a big year, haven't even scratched the surface yet.

Now that's baseball!

But don't take my word for it:

Check out Bob Aspromonte's "satisfying poke"....