On 6/4/2020 at 9:23 AM, Brad said:

Every other league in this country and around the world has agreed on returning but MLB is incapable of doing this. They’re sowing the seeds of their own demise. 

I had thought that tennis could have the easiest time coming back, not necessarily with fans in the stands but social distancing could be maintained on the court and in the locker rooms, I would think. But Djokovic organized an exhibition, and now he and three more players have tested positive.  (Should be noted, social distancing wasn't carefully observed, apparently.)

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I had thought that tennis could have the easiest time coming back, not necessarily with fans in the stands but social distancing could be maintained on the court and in the locker rooms, I would think. But Djokovic organized an exhibition, and now he and three more players have tested positive.  (Should be noted, social distancing wasn't carefully observed, apparently.)

His wife has it too. He’s an anti vaxxer and was objecting to the procedures the USTA was going to put in place for the US Open. I’d like to think he will now have a different perspective but I doubt it. 

21 minutes ago, Brad said:

His wife has it too. He’s an anti vaxxer and was objecting to the procedures the USTA was going to put in place for the US Open. I’d like to think he will now have a different perspective but I doubt it. 

volle-tribuenen-bei-den-showmatches-in-b

2378085_default_1uWUAf_kWkMr0.jpg

Until now Djokovic`s status was marred by his fascist views (only ?), but these COVID-19 partys @ Croatia organized by him give another glimpse of his intellectual standard .... sad but true ....

Details of the upcoming season:

Designated hitter in the National League

10 games vs. each divisional opponent; four games vs. regional interleague opponents

Runner on second base to start extra innings

Aug. 31 trade deadline

Players tested for COVID-19 every other day

Full prorated pay for players

Spring training to start on July 1

13 minutes ago, Brad said:

Details of the upcoming season:

Designated hitter in the National League

10 games vs. each divisional opponent; four games vs. regional interleague opponents

Runner on second base to start extra innings

Aug. 31 trade deadline

Players tested for COVID-19 every other day

Full prorated pay for players

Spring training to start on July 1

Absolutely hate the idea of runner on 2nd base to start extra innings.

Cubs pretty well situated for DH with Schwarber. Others would be San Francisco (Pence) and Washington (Kendrick).

https://www.mlb.com/news/national-league-teams-with-best-dh-options

12 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Absolutely hate the idea of runner on 2nd base to start extra innings.

Cubs pretty well situated for DH with Schwarber. Others would be San Francisco (Pence) and Washington (Kendrick).

https://www.mlb.com/news/national-league-teams-with-best-dh-options

I’m not a fan of it either. I have the sinking feeling that it will become permanent. 

Yeah, that runner on 2nd thing isbullshit, intellectually, morally, in every way, it's bullshit.

Why not just start the motherfucker on there for eVERY inning?

No longer is this an extra "inning", it's like a shoot-out or something, at least more like that than an actual inning of baseball.

Plenty of improvements to be made in the marketing and the execution of baseball, but the game itself is still a sound creation, probably as sound as any sport except for maybe certain types of shower heads.

Have they said who serves as runner? In slow-pitch softball when someone can hit but not run past 1B its usually last hitter to make an out ... I would think it would have to be some rule like that because you are otherwise burning a bench player, right?

2 hours ago, Milestones said:

One has to think it was some pinhead (or group of pinheads) who came up with the runner on 2nd concept.

I think the concept has been floated for several years.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Have they said who serves as runner? In slow-pitch softball when someone can hit but not run past 1B its usually last hitter to make an out ... I would think it would have to be some rule like that because you are otherwise burning a bench player, right?

See Play Ball: MLB announces 2020 regular season, which says that “The batter who made the final out in the previous inning (or a pinch-runner for that batter) would be that runner.”

34 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think the concept has been floated for several years.

See Play Ball: MLB announces 2020 regular season, which says that “The batter who made the final out in the previous inning (or a pinch-runner for that batter) would be that runner.”

Herb Washington, your time has finally come!

Today in Baseball History: Herb Washington's short, weird career ends

His most famous moment:

Edited by Matthew

21 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, that runner on 2nd thing isbullshit, intellectually, morally, in every way, it's bullshit.

Why not just start the motherfucker on there for eVERY inning?

No longer is this an extra "inning", it's like a shoot-out or something, at least more like that than an actual inning of baseball.

Plenty of improvements to be made in the marketing and the execution of baseball, but the game itself is still a sound creation, probably as sound as any sport except for maybe certain types of shower heads.

I am just glad no one suggested they start a Home Run Derby in the top of the 10th! About as half-baked!

16 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

To make the game even more fan/family friendly, that runner on second base at the top of the 10th simply must be that team's costumed mascot!

e9eee21cb3119d568221321707f1e35f.jpg

You're welcome, MLB!

Someone put Fredbird out of his (and our) misery. 

1 hour ago, duaneiac said:

Youse wants some one should take care of your Fredbird problem?  Fuggedaboutit!  Dis guy will "arrange" it and he really needs the work, so he'll handle it cheap for youse . . .

01b18ca9fab337e7a391a273cd8712b2.jpg

Don’t quit your day job, that’s all I have to say. 

Zach Kram at the Ringer seems dubious that MLB will be able to complete the season, owing to the pandemic. Gotta say I agree... and also can’t believe that some teams in some of the worst-hit states right now want to seat fans at 50% capacity?! WTF. Here in Indiana they are trying to push ahead with a 50% capacity Indy 500, which is really nuts, because that means you’re talking about massing anywhere from 120-175,000 people in one place, in late August—and warm weather is decidedly not making the virus go away. Even if events are taking place in an outdoor setting, you’re still looking at giant masses of people moving through gateways, entrances, tunnels, stairs and stairwells, and using bathroom facilities. Many of them will probably not be wearing masks. The same would apply to 20-25,000 people attending a baseball game. 

On another note, another big thumbs down for the unearned runner on second concept. Why the hell subject pitchers to that disadvantage? While we’re at it, why not require only three balls for a walk once the game goes long? And outfielders will not be allowed to catch fly balls... they must let them drop for hits! ☝️:rolleyes: If they’re concerned about lengthy games during the pandemic, just allow ties after 10 innings. 

Wearing masks in warm weather, especially tight, confined areas, is not particularly easy so anything that brings many people together in arenas or outdoor areas ain’t a great idea.

I have no objection to the 2B idea during the pandemic era provided it doesn’t becomes permanent. Baseball, unlike football, has no experience or rules governing tie games so I’m sure that was considered and rejected.  Rule changes (within reason) that lessens lengths of games in this era should be encouraged. The 2B idea seems similar to the college football idea of starting at the opponent’s 20 or 25 yard line in overtime games. 

Edited by Brad

The Rockies’ Ian Desmond is opting out of playing in 2020. Evidently not the first and probably not the last player to do so. According to the ESPN article, “Earlier Monday, Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake and Washington Nationals first baseman Ryan Zimmerman and pitcher Joe Rossannounced that they are opting out of the 2020 season amid the coronavirus pandemic.”

Edited by ghost of miles

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

The Rockies’ Ian Desmond is opting out of playing in 2020. Evidently not the first and probably not the last player to do so. According to the ESPN article, “Earlier Monday, Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake and Washington Nationals first baseman Ryan Zimmerman and pitcher Joe Rossannounced that they are opting out of the 2020 season amid the coronavirus pandemic.”

How many fans will opt out from watching the season?