What on earth are the Astros (or any other team that's planning to allow fans, because apparently Houston's not alone here) thinking?  But especially a team like Houston, situated in a state that is one of the leading hotspots for Covid in the country right now.

Houston Astros allowing fans at MLB games is a dangerous move

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

What on earth are the Astros (or any other team that's planning to allow fans, because apparently Houston's not alone here) thinking?  But especially a team like Houston, situated in a state that is one of the leading hotspots for Covid in the country right now.

Houston Astros allowing fans at MLB games is a dangerous move

I think the Astros' front office needs to work on their ethics a little bit more...

14 hours ago, Brad said:

Two players on the Yankees have the virus: D.J. LeMahieu and Luis Cessa. 

Not a good 24 hours for the Yankees, given Stanton’s line-drive off the top of Tanaka’s head.

On the coronavirus front:

Four Atlanta Braves test positive for Covid

... not good news either. Freddie Freeman and Will Smith are two of the four. 

44 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Not a good 24 hours for the Yankees, given Stanton’s line-drive off the top of Tanaka’s head.

On the coronavirus front:

Four Atlanta Braves test positive for Covid

... not good news either. Freddie Freeman and Will Smith are two of the four. 

At least LeMahieu is asymptomatic. Several players have announced they’re going to sit out the season and Mike Trout says he’s thinking about doing it. 

Edited by Brad

All these athletes testing positive, I don't see how anything is going to get played the rest of the year. I wonder what the line is for these leagues to stop is? Ten percent positive? Someone winding up in the ICU? Dying? I get there is a ton of money and jobs involved, but at what cost?

4 minutes ago, Matthew said:

All these athletes testing positive, I don't see how anything is going to get played the rest of the year. I wonder what the line is for these leagues to stop is? Ten percent positive? Someone winding up in the ICU? Dying? I get there is a ton of money and jobs involved, but at what cost?

Right now (including staff members who have tested positive), the percentage is 1.2%. Unless an entire team or two tests positive, I don’t see the season being stopped. At the very least, we haven’t reached critical mass yet.  

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

Right now (including staff members who have tested positive), the percentage is 1.2%. Unless an entire team or two tests positive, I don’t see the season being stopped. At the very least, we haven’t reached critical mass yet.  

I think what is bothering me is the attitude that the various sports seem to be taking -- they're young and in great shape, they won't die from it. It bugs me, young people, in great condition, have died from the virus. It all strikes me as playing with other peoples lives for money. Won't say more than that because that'll take me to one of the two topics that shall not be mentioned!

The approach the Mets are following which I assume is the same for other teams, Mets embrace 'new normality' at Summer Camp

They're spacing out the time when players practice but if there’s a season that won’t be possible unless the players are physically separate in the stands. I imagine the dugout will only be for a few players and the coaches. 

4 hours ago, Matthew said:

I think what is bothering me is the attitude that the various sports seem to be taking -- they're young and in great shape, they won't die from it. It bugs me, young people, in great condition, have died from the virus. It all strikes me as playing with other peoples lives for money. 

Anyone who thinks the young are immune from serious effects of the virus should read this. 

Hey, so I got #Covid19 in March

9 hours ago, Matthew said:

Big Ten to play conference only games Just the start, when the Big Ten starts cutting games you might as well cancel the whole season. How fewer games is going to solve any virus issues is whistling in the dark. MLB & NBA thinks it can continue in its bubble, it doesn't seem workable to me.

From that article:

(Ohio State athletic director Gene) Smith shares that concern about a fall season taking place.

"I'm really concerned. ... I'm very concerned," Smith said. "In our last conversation, whenever that was, I was cautiously optimistic. I'm not even there now, when you look at the behavior of our country and you consider that in May we were on a downward trajectory with our [coronavirus] cases. ... Now we're, if not the worst in the world, one of the worst in the world.

"I am concerned that we may not be able to play. Which is why we took the measure we took -- in order to try and have September available to us for conference games and give us the flexibility and control to handle disruptions if we're able to start a season. I'm concerned about where we are, just across the board, relative to the management of the pandemic as individuals."

We didn't have to be here, but here we are.  Deleting the rest of my comments because they are oh so very political.

6 hours ago, catesta said:

Or, they could read the hundreds of articles/stories that were already out there. :rolleyes:

I think the point is that sadly plenty of people still seem to think or act otherwise, despite the wealth of information on this topic.

Edited by ghost of miles

That's a damn good book!

Yankee closer Aroldis Chapman tests positive for Covid-19

...and all players who test positive have to test negative twice after their quarantine before coming back.  So Chapman's most likely not going to be on the field until several weeks into the season at the earliest--and that's assuming that he has a good recovery.  He's reportedly experiencing mild symptoms at this point.  

Also, Joel Sherman predicts many more players will opt out of playing the 2020 season, especially once they hit whatever number of service days advances them another year in that regard.

I think organized sports in general is going to be operating at near-disaster status (if at all) in the coming months.  

Edited by ghost of miles

51 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

That's a damn good book!

Yankee closer Aroldis Chapman tests positive for Covid-19

...and all players who test positive have to test negative twice after their quarantine before coming back.  So Chapman's most likely not going to be on the field until several weeks into the season at the earliest--and that's assuming that he has a good recovery.  He's reportedly experiencing mild symptoms at this point.  

Also, Joel Sherman predicts many more players will opt out of playing the 2020 season, especially once they hit whatever number of service days advances them another year in that regard.

I think organized sports in general is going to be operating at near-disaster status (if at all) in the coming months.  

If you’re not going to play, announce it before the season starts. To quit mid season is gaming  the system and ethically dubious.