Yeah, really. When was the system ever NOT gamed by somebody? It's kinda the point of having a system to begin with, if you couldn't game it, it would be all natural and nobody would pay money to see it.

Some players are smarter than others about that, but hate the game, not the player.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, really. When was the system ever NOT gamed by somebody? It's kinda the point of having a system to begin with, if you couldn't game it, it would be all natural and nobody would pay money to see it.

Some players are smarter than others about that, but hate the game, not the player.

Owners/ballclubs game the system all the time. Especially limiting service time of young players to maximize duration of contractual control. See e.g. Chicago Cubs / Kris Bryant.

What's good for the goose...

Edited by T.D.

Owners do try to maximize service time but ceasing to play after you’ve started the season? That’s a bit different and if enough players do it, will lead to cancellation of the season, if the season starts. That’s just sabotaging the season. You want to opt out before the season starts. Fine, but not after. I’m sure any such moves won’t go well with the public. 

On 2020-07-15 at 0:03 PM, ghost of miles said:

Toronto Blue Jays may have to play home games in New York or Florida

The Canadian govt understandably doesn’t seem too keen on letting them travel to and from one of the worst countries in the world when it comes to coronavirus response and current infection rates.

Yep, the official MLB plan had them criss-crossing the border constantly with no quarantine.  The (Canadian) feds officially said No today.  Clearly the right decision. So the Blue Jays will either play in Buffalo or Florida.

As far as I understand it, hockey is a completely different situation where all the eligible teams come up to two Canadian sites (Edmonton and Toronto) and then they don't leave until the playoffs are over.  In fact, only at the very end in the finals would the east and west teams meet.  So we'll see.

Heads-up for any T-Mobile customers out there—this Tuesday they’ll once again be offering free MLB.TV for the regular season, *and* a free 12-month subscription to the Athletic (the online sports publication which several friends regularly rave about to me). Only catch with the Athletic is that it will auto-renew in a year and you’ll be billed $59.99, but you can opt out before that happens if you’d prefer... a catch I can live with! Just watched some highlights of yesterday’s Yankees-Mets game and am feeling some excitement for Thursday, despite deep reservations about whether or not they’re going to be able to pull this off, especially with worsening conditions in so much of the country. 

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Just watched some highlights of yesterday’s Yankees-Mets game and am feeling some excitement for Thursday, despite deep reservations about whether or not they’re going to be able to pull this off, especially with worsening conditions in so much of the country. 

I enjoyed yesterday’s game (even if the Yankees won) and will be watching tonight.

This is happening: the season is going to start so put aside those misgivings and get on board. NY now has a third team. 

Edited by Brad

Watched the A's vs. Giants last night, and I have to admit, going in I had my doubts, but it was better than I thought it would be. Definitely going into the season with a more upbeat feeling about the game. The one disappointing thing though, is that the Giants will be sending Joey Bart to Sacramento and not have him on the MLB roster to open the season, this despite him being one of the better players, but service time rears in ugly head again. This is going to a major sticking point in the new CBA.

1 minute ago, Matthew said:

I like the piped-in crowd noise for games, I find it's disconcerting to have a sports game played in complete silence.

I wanted to see what it is like.  They are making all these other changes ... fake applause is just bullshit.

34 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I like the piped-in crowd noise for games, I find it's disconcerting to have a sports game played in complete silence.

Same here. 

When the Bundesliga restarted they didn’t pump in any crowd noise and it seemed odd. Later on, they did and it gives you a reassuring feeling. I think every MLB team will do it. 

4 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

Oddly enough, it looks like the Blue Jays will share a stadium with Pittsburgh Pirates.  I'm glad for their sakes, they are not heading to Florida as their home base.

They announcement said they’d be playing most of their games there but no further details were given. As I suspect the virus will be with us next year, they may have to come up with another plan this winter. 

I'm not taking it personally or anything but I can't wrap my head around allowing visiting teams from presumably Florida and Texas and not from Toronto, where the virus is essentially under control.  I would have thought the Jays would establish their own bubble (hotels, gym, etc.) separately from the Pirates. 

But overall the MLB plan is way riskier than the NHL plan (with far, far too much travel between stadiums).  I think the NBA plan wasn't too bad in the abstract except that most of the games are supposed to be in Florida.  :wacko:

I'm fairly sure that in all cases there will be so many athletes breaking the rules and the virus spreading out of control that all these experiments are ultimately shut down.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:12 AM, ghost of miles said:

Red Sox place three pitchers on the IL

Erod (their top starter) and two of their primary relievers. Reason not stated in the announcement, but apparently all three tested positive for Covid-19. 

I wasn't aware that the Red Sox had three pitchers.  Sorry...I couldn't resist.

9 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

I am reading Luis Tiant's book Son of Havana, and a thought occurred to me.  Do major leaguers play Winter League ball anymore?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1635765439/

They do, in fact ESPN Deportes always broadcasts the Caribbean Series, some get stuff. Though recently, players have been avoiding it because of security issues with family members being threatened with kidnapping (yikes!).