• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Betts got huge $$s from LA all the way thru to his age 39 season.

Its simply infuriating that John Henry wouldn't pay to keep him in a Red Sox uniform but if the Dodgers are committed to this kind of spending at least we don't see him in a Yankee uniform and if he tortures the Yankees in a few post-seasons I won't complain at all. Just wish the Cubs could shovel the money at him and be that dominant team in the NL.

The Nats’ Juan Soto out of commission after testing positive for Covid-19. Happy Opening Day, 2020-style!

6 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

So Betts got huge $$s from LA all the way thru to his age 39 season.

Its simply infuriating that John Henry wouldn't pay to keep him in a Red Sox uniform but if the Dodgers are committed to this kind of spending at least we don't see him in a Yankee uniform and if he tortures the Yankees in a few post-seasons I won't complain at all. Just wish the Cubs could shovel the money at him and be that dominant team in the NL.

Mookie had sure sounded determined in the past to test free agency once his contract ended. Just speculation, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he foresaw a dismal FA market this winter and decided to go ahead and lock in with the Dodgers. I mean, isn’t that deal fairly close to what Boston had offered him? 

EDIT: just doublechecked and it was 10 yrs/$300 million that Mookie rejected from Boston. So the Dodgers contract is almost exactly the same annual salary but two years longer. I still think he must have had concerns about what the market will be like for free agents in 2020-21.

Edited by ghost of miles

Loved watching Gerrit Cole’s pre- and post-game commentary last night—guy is just so jazzed to be a Yankee. Via the Athletic:

As Cole crouched behind the mound in preparation for his long-delayed debut, he tried to steady the emotions that had surfaced in the time since the team arrived in D.C. Gary Sánchez was tasked with what Cole described as “steering the ship” while he settled in for his five-inning debut.

His joy was unmistakable as he recapped his outing after the game was called following a two-hour rain delay. He beamed while announcing “I had so much fun!” multiple times. In what seems to be a rare occurrence for Cole, he hardly dove into the particulars of his performance. Instead, he was consumed by how it felt to take the mound for the Yankees at all.

Cole said he called his wife, Amy, to tell her how he felt about his first experience of pitching for the Yankees in a game that actually counted: “I can’t believe I’m gonna get a complete-game one-hitter in my debut.”

27 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

The Blue Jays will play their home games here in Buffalo.

Oh my...ghastly scenarios abound for Dr. Moreau wannabes looking to do wing transplants...

Have I told you about Boudreaux the Buffalo, King o'de Cajun Plains?

33 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

The Braves opening game is in less than 2 hours, and they've just announced that both of their catchers have COVID-19 symptoms -- so neither can play.  :( 

If there’s no catcher, the Mets are gonna be stealin’ a lot of bases.

Anyway, it’s just their starting catchers. Alex Jackson is getting the nod. D’Arnaud ain’t that good anyway. 

Edited by Brad

From several days ago, somehow missed this--Braves all-star Freddie Freeman feared he was going to die from Covid-19.  His temperature hit 104.5 degrees.  Damn... I don't think I've ever run a temperature anywhere close to that.  Glad that he's recovered and is in the lineup today.  

Edited by ghost of miles

44 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

From several days ago, somehow missed this--Braves all-star Freddie Freeman feared he was going to die from Covid-19.  His temperature hit 104.5 degrees.  Damn... I don't think I've ever run a temperature anywhere close to that.  Glad that he's recovered and is in the lineup today.  

Yep.  Very scary.

8 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

Of course my Athletics blow the lead in the 9th and are the first to have a game go into extra innings 

My son (who is an Angels fan) and I watched the game. A fun game to watch. Angels had their opportunities but couldn’t cash them in. That and the Céspedes HR against the Braves shows what we’ve been missing. 

Edited by Brad