• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Stupid Diaz strikes again. Gives up a HR that cost a game. Deja vu. 

Friend and Mets fan texted me earlier that Diaz set an MLB record last year with 15 HRs given up in the 9th inning.  That's pretty bad, for sure.

Paxton looked terrible for the Yankees tonight.  Velo down considerably, couldn't spot his pitches... hopefully just an off-night and not some underlying physical issue.  Damn, though, that Giancarlo Stanton HR... 121.3 mph exit velo, 483 feet.  :blink:

Edited by ghost of miles

Saw parts of the Fox Cub broadcast yesterday and "sim people" was even worse than I feared. Sometimes they are there sometimes they aren't? And since they are FAKE PEOPLE why not put them in all rows? Those lucky fuckers don't have to keep their distance.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And if you pop on the fake people for home run balls, why do they disappear on the replay?

The ESPN broadcast on Friday, with silence, was 100% better.

10 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Saw parts of the Fox Cub broadcast yesterday and "sim people" was even worse than I feared. Sometimes they are there sometimes they aren't? And since they are FAKE PEOPLE why not put them in all rows? Those lucky fuckers don't have to keep their distance.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And if you pop on the fake people for home run balls, why do they disappear on the replay?

The ESPN broadcast on Friday, with silence, was 100% better.

Yes, the sim people are ridiculous. Also ridiculous is the canned crowd noise that increases (at least on some broadcasts) whenever the ball is put in play, even when it is a lazy pop foul. Oh the excitement!

ARod slobbering all over the Yankees and Gerrit was a bit much. Yes they are a favorite and have a lot of talent ($$), but does the ARod routine have to continue all season long? Please no.

Finally, cannot stand the extra inning rule. Yuck.

But at least CLE starters performing well (minus Bauer and Kluber). Go Biebs!

The concept sim of the sim doesn’t bother me but it’s fake. Now, I know the crowd noise is fake too but it gives you the illusion the crowd is there. I know the sim does too but with the cutouts you know it’s an illusion. 

Justin Verlander out for at least the next several weeks with an elbow strain—initial Houston Chronicle report that he was out for the year has been corrected by the Astros. Still, not a good situation for Houston, especially in such a shortened season.

Also:

At least four Miami Marlins test positive for Covid-19

Edited by ghost of miles

19 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Not surprised at all about the positive tests, watching just the Giants & Dodgers, there is not too much social distancing going on with the players. Unless there's a major behavior change with the players, I don't see how the season survives, nor any sport for that matter. I'd hate to see no sports as I've enjoyed the return of baseball more than I thought I would.

Players testing positive was inevitable. The question is whether the teams and MLB can manage it. If they can’t, then the season will be shut down. That’s why I’m trying to enjoy what we are getting now because it may not last long.

In addition, who knows what will happen next season?

11 hours ago, Brad said:

The concept sim of the sim doesn’t bother me but it’s fake. Now, I know the crowd noise is fake too but it gives you the illusion the crowd is there. I know the sim does too but with the cutouts you know it’s an illusion. 

And how does your mind handle camera angles that go: empty - empty - empty - oh look pretend people behaving as if they are watching a football game, not a baseball hurtling at them - empty empty empty?

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

And how does your mind handle camera angles that go: empty - empty - empty - oh look pretend people behaving as if they are watching a football game, not a baseball hurtling at them - empty empty empty?

I haven’t seen a game with simmed crowd, just a few shots. Regardless, it’s the action on the field that matters.

If you don’t watch to watch, don’t. No one is forcing you to do so. 

4 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I saw a headline about "player with yips makes return" but I had no idea it was Daniel Bard who seemed to have a very bright future with the Sox many years ago.

https://www.mlb.com/rockies/news/daniel-bard-rockies-comeback

If you play golf, you know all about the "yips."  For an entire season a number of years ago, I putted with a club that was actually called a "Yip Stick".  It was all of two feet long.  Daniel Bard suffered from the same thing but in a very public way.  Some of his numbers while he was trying to work his way through this were shocking.  I know people say it's all in your head, but the stats were real.  That he's been able to work his way back and actually make a major league roster is remarkable.  Great story.

Eight more players and two coaches have tested positive on the Marlins bringing the total number of cases to 14 so their opener in Miami has been postponed.  The team has remained in Philadelphia. The Phillies players and coaches must be concerned.

Perhaps starting the season was a bridge too far. 

Edited by Brad

47 minutes ago, Brad said:

Eight more players and two coaches have tested positive on the Marlins bringing the total number of cases to 14 so their opener in Miami has been postponed.  The team has remained in Philadelphia. The Phillies players and coaches must be concerned.

Perhaps starting the season was a bridge too far. 

Already speculation that the just-started 2020 season could ultimately end up being canceled because of what’s going on with the Marlins. More immediately, not sure if fielding their “practice team” is a viable option or not. Probably not, from what I’m reading so far.

Behind a paywall at the Athletic, but if you’re a subscriber, a very good piece re the Marlins’ situation, and a bleak outlook for sustaining the season:

Why did the Marlins play baseball on Sunday?

Gist of the headline is that they already had enough positive tests back to indicate a very high likelihood of a team outbreak. 

Edited by ghost of miles

Well a plurality did say that it would be cancelled mid-season due to an outbreak

Personally I think there is a definite possibility that, being invested in getting the season in, a "hold" could be placed now and the season reduced to 40-45 games instead of a cancellation announcement today.

Edited by Dan Gould