11 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Well a plurality did say that it would be cancelled mid-season due to an outbreak

Personally I think there is a definite possibility that, being invested in getting the season in, a "hold" could be placed now and the season reduced to 40-45 games instead of a cancellation announcement today.

I think it's unlikely they'll cancel the season altogether today.  I imagine a lot's riding on the test results for the Phillies players.  But hard to see how this kind of outbreak doesn't happen again, given that MLB's *not* playing in a bubble, they're traveling a lot, and you have a number of teams based in the four worst hotspot states right now--the Rays and Marlins in Florida, the Astros and Rangers in Texas, the Diamondbacks in Arizona, and the Dodgers, Angels, Giants, A's, and Padres all in California.  

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Brad said:

According to Jon Heyman, there’s no serious thought being given to pausing or canceling the season. 

That's what they say now, but on the face of it, the MLB has the worst thought-through plans of any of the major leagues.  (Hold my beer, says the NFL...)  And if one or two of the key players gets very ill or even dies, well, then we get to watch America's legal system swing into action.  Practically another spectator sport in its own right.

MLB had proposed a bubble plan but the players rejected it.  Both sides were trying to “have their cake and eat it too.”

I think European football had similar plans but the difference is that they were able to somewhat control the virus. The result was that there were few infections and the league seasons were finished without a hitch.

Europe still has to finish the Champions League (European club championships) and those are going to be held in a slimmed down version in Lisbon. 

3 minutes ago, T.D. said:

That's going to be another slow-motion (or maybe not so slow) train wreck.

If baseball (a mostly non contact sport) can’t be played, I don’t see how the NFL is going to pull it off. 

Edited by Brad

Simulations might depend on the network doing the game. Hometown Nats broadcast didn't have any of it either. 

Received an email from the Indians indicating that tonight's game against ChiSox has been postponed. Immediately thought this was COVID-related. Trouble on the Indians, the White Sox, the Royals, something league-wide? Turns out it was postponed due to inclement weather. And they plan to play a "traditional doubleheader" tomorrow starting at 3:40pm. How generous of them to go traditional rather than day/night when there is literally zero gate ramifications. How generous! How traditional! Life in plague times.

Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic reports four more Marlins have tested positive. Half of the current 30-man roster is infected. Tonight’s Phillies-Yankees game has been postponed. No word yet on the Phillies’ tests... but given the incubation period for this virus, how could tonight’s game have been safely played anyway, even if all the tests came back negative? What a mess.

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

The Marlins' season has been "paused."  Washington Nationals had already voted as a team against traveling to Miami to play them.  

How can MLB justify the Marlins playing in the next two weeks? Just take the Marlins' games off the board for the rest of the season. Though that causes all kinds of problems.

Edited by Matthew

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

How can MLB justify the Marlins playing in the next two weeks? Just take the Marlins' games off the board for the rest of the season. Though that causes all kinds of problems.

I can see the Marlins not playing until they test negative but the rest of the season? No. How does that make sense if they test negative?

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I can see the Marlins not playing until they test negative but the rest of the season? No. How does that make sense if they test negative?

How many games will get canceled until they test negative? At some point the Marlins season is lost and they become just an opponent to get tv ratings. There should be some sense of the integrity of the game, but money usually overcomes that concern very easily.

56 minutes ago, Matthew said:

How many games will get canceled until they test negative? At some point the Marlins season is lost and they become just an opponent to get tv ratings. There should be some sense of the integrity of the game, but money usually overcomes that concern very easily.

You’re asking questions for which there are no answer yet. Have to wait and see. 

38 minutes ago, Brad said:

Looks like Joe Kelly tried to extract a little revenge for 2017, Joe Kelly finds his place in Dodgers lore by banging hard on trash-can Astros

That's one way to interpret it but its not even his battle. Someone from the 2017 team should fight that fight, if its necessary.

And there's stuff in that piece that seem highly questionable. Keeping a runner close was part of his mind game?  And on the potential DP Kelly deserved to get spiked his foot was in a very dangerous place. Getting spiked might explain the rest of the silliness too.

And BTW how will his teammates react if the Astros exact some revenge and actually hit or injure someone down the line?