• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe Kelly suspended 8 games for Astros incident

That's equivalent to 22 games in a regular season.  Michael Kay on the Yankees broadcast right now saying that a lot of players on Twitter are supporting Kelly.  O'Neill saying there's a lot of player sentiment that Astros got off way too lightly; Cone thinks MLB needed to make an example of Kelly because they're afraid otherwise it'll be open season on Houston.  

Edited by ghost of miles

On 7/28/2020 at 3:05 PM, Matthew said:

How can MLB justify the Marlins playing in the next two weeks? Just take the Marlins' games off the board for the rest of the season. Though that causes all kinds of problems.

I’m starting to think you were right. Due to the Marlins’ players stupidity they may now have affected the Phillies. You could delete the Marlins and determine qualification for the wild cards (or whatever it’s called now) by winning percentage. 

Cardinals-Brewers game postponed after positive tests in the Cardinals organization.

EDIT: tried to post a link to the story, but clicking on the link only leads me back to this thread. Had a similar problem with posting a link in another subforum recently. Not sure if it’s an issue on my end or not... has this happened to anybody else?

Edited by ghost of miles

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Cardinals-Brewers game postponed after positive tests in the Cardinals organization.

EDIT: tried to post a link to the story, but clicking on the link only leads me back to this thread. Had a similar problem with posting a link in another subforum recently. Not sure if it’s an issue on my end or not... has this happened to anybody else?

I was going to watch that game.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Sure it is!

Guess I don't know the definition.

57 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This is not a statistically meaningful season except in a way that is arbitrarily imposed, "because we say so" doesn't cut it for me. This is playing a "season" because nobody has a good idea about what to do, much less a better one.

No they have a good idea to play games - earn revenue/get paid salaries - in the time available.

Obviously any "champion" crowned, if they manage to reach that point, will forever have an asterisk attached.     They'll still get the expensive trophy and a new flag to fly in the future too.

I hear what you're saying, Jim.  ... But I'm still glad there's something to watch on TV, live sports-wise.

17 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

No they have a good idea to play games - earn revenue/get paid salaries - in the time available.

Obviously any "champion" crowned, if they manage to reach that point, will forever have an asterisk attached.     They'll still get the expensive trophy and a new flag to fly in the future too.

A lot like the strike-shortened season years ago.  So there is some precedent.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

What kind of unpredictable, potentially fatal contagious disease caused the strike-shortened season?

Oh, I'm not defending MLB from a health risk point of view.  It would certainly be safer if they were using a bubble approach, like the NBA.

I'm just saying that I've enjoyed watching live baseball -- and that the MLB has had abbreviated seasons with "asterisked" champions before.  (Even if they didn't have 7-inning doubleheaders and runners starting on second base in the 10th inning.)

36 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Oh, I'm not defending MLB from a health risk point of view.  It would certainly be safer if they were using a bubble approach, like the NBA.

I'm just saying that I've enjoyed watching live baseball -- and that the MLB has had abbreviated seasons with "asterisked" champions before.  (Even if they didn't have 7-inning doubleheaders and runners starting on second base in the 10th inning.)

yeah...too forced an effort, with no certainty of successful execution., imo.  Clownshow in the making, like so much else in America right now, where "defense" and "surrender" have become synonymous. Throw in what I suspect (but only suspect) are leveraged debt/cash flow issues in some/many franchises (because that's just the way America does business these days) and you have games being played as part of a "season" that may or may not get compelted, with new rules put into place that can only be described as Five Card STUD EVERYTHING WILD!!!!!!, and the whole thing, to me, just reeks of a tepidly sordid stew of desperation, cynicism, and cluelessness.

In other words, the same old MLB, only worse.

i got other shit to watch on tv, when I watch tv at all, that is. Although, Prime has unexpectedly dropped The Real McCoys, and that's a TRUE bummer, no longer being able to look back in amazement at ALL of that....

43 minutes ago, Matthew said:

It could happen as soon as Monday. You can put in place good rules but if the players aren’t going to follow them, there’s little you can do.

I've enjoyed the games I’ve seen and if the sport is shut down, it was better than nothing. Unfortunately, there’s no guarantee about next year either.

If baseball couldn’t do it, football won’t be able to either.