The 2020 Jekyll-and-Hyde edition of the Yankees avoided having to face the Rays in a best-of-three at the Trop only because the O's knocked off the Jays today.  Not optimistic about their chances against Cleveland in a road series either.  From a broader perspective, it's going to be interesting to see how all teams' pitching staffs fare with the no-days-off schedule, especially when we get to the longer best-of-five and best-of-seven rounds.  

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

The 2020 Jekyll-and-Hyde edition of the Yankees avoided having to face the Rays in a best-of-three at the Trop only because the O's knocked off the Jays today.  Not optimistic about their chances against Cleveland in a road series either.  From a broader perspective, it's going to be interesting to see how all teams' pitching staffs fare with the no-days-off schedule, especially when we get to the longer best-of-five and best-of-seven rounds.  

In 1961, Roger Maris hit his 61st home run in the final game of a 162 game season.  For his trouble, he had as asterisk placed next to his name in the records books.  One can only hope that the same treatment will be accorded the team that wins the 2020 World Series. 

Ok, this stinks! I'm calling it utter bull**** that ESPN announcers are talking to Justin Turner, while he's on the field, playing the game! That is way beyond the pale for me, and if it distracts Turner from making a play, a way that ESPN can effect the out come of the game. 

THIS IS BS - Lucy Peanuts | Meme Generator

35 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Ok, this stinks! I'm calling it utter bull**** that ESPN announcers are talking to Justin Turner, while he's on the field, playing the game! That is way beyond the pale for me, and if it distracts Turner from making a play, a way that ESPN can effect the out come of the game. 

THIS IS BS - Lucy Peanuts | Meme Generator

They talked to Mark Canha in the A’s game and I found it fascinating. He explained what he was thinking through his awesome catch and the changes he made while playing. Enlightening stuff to me and strange that someone is so opposed to it. Especially given baseball high pace..

On 9/28/2020 at 8:19 PM, ghost of miles said:

Game 2 was a roller coaster.

Rays will be a different story but I'm optimistic right now.

It was one of those interminable games that seemed to go and on. Frankly, I can’t seem them beating the Rays.  I don’t watch a lot of AL baseball but I watched them when they played the Mets. They’re a very tight team, not a lot of great hitters, but they get the job done and they pitch well. Should be an interesting series. 

Edited by Brad

34 minutes ago, catesta said:

Game 2 was a roller coaster.

Rays will be a different story but I'm optimistic right now.

Longest nine-inning game in MLB history, supposedly (even with the weather delays removed).  I was up till 1:30-1:45 or so in the morning following it and feel as if I've got a hangover today.  The bullpen has to be a glaring concern going into the Rays series, not to mention the state of the rotation once you get past Cole and Tanaka (Happ has pitched better of late but still not an ideal #3, Deivi with very little MLB experience despite his remarkable poise, and Montgomery an inconsistent crapshoot of a starter).  But at least we'll be healthy, unlike many of the previous games against the Rays this season when we were decimated by injuries.  Rays will definitely be a tough, tough road to try to travel.  

Tribe pitching needed to be at its typical high level. Little margin for underperformance given the especially anemic offense. And that just didn't happen. Brad Hand always makes me uneasy. While that game 2 was a bit of a roller coaster, it was not fun to watch. Way too many walks on both sides. I've always liked Urshela and was sad to see him not be retained in CLE. Wish the Indians could afford a few peak-of-career free agents that could contribute offensively, but looks like a return to farm team status, despite having awesome starting pitching depth/talent, and Francisco Lindor. 

Tough post-season for some former Indian starters: Mike Clevinger does not make the Padre post-season rotation due to injury, Trevor Bauer gets stuck with a no decision (and team loss) despite 7.2IP, 2H, 0ER, 12K.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

:)

Did they combine the "hit one for the sick kid" with the "called shot"? :g

Yeah, they did. There's a good movie to be done of Babe's life, the guy came from absolutely nothing, no education, no family, and became a national hero. He deserves better than William Bendix or John Goodman trying to be "larger that life". Maybe there's no way you can put that on film, who knows, but I find it an amazing story.

You start out like this, in the world's most depressing Christmas picture (Babe on left, his father on the right)

Baltimore Maryland - estherdelurgio

And you wind up with the idol of kids and hero to the nation.

The Babe Bows Out | 100 Photographs | The Most Influential Images of All  Time

It must of been one hell of a ride.

Edited by Matthew

46 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Bob Gibson has died.  RIP.

One of the greats.  Gibson's death came on the 52nd anniversary of perhaps his most overpowering performance, when he struck out a World Series record 17 batters in Game 1 of the 1968 World Series against Detroit.  

50 minutes ago, catesta said:

Thanks Dan! :P

:g
Tonight’s game is going to be very interesting. Cole on short rest for the first time in his career against Glasnow on two days’ rest—I’m sure Cash’s plan is to use Glasnow as a 1-2 IP opener and then empty the Rays’ formidable pen. Yankees’ challenge will be getting 5-6 solid innings out of Cole and then somehow finding a bridge to Britton/Chapman. Since Green pitched the last two nights, I doubt he’ll be available—esp given the new rule that a reliever has to face a minimum of three batters. Should be quite a barnburner at Petco tonight.