• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Mookie's catch last night reminded me of this recent media-attention-getting play:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/10/16/cpbl-taiwan-baseball-lin-che-hsuan-home-run-robbery-video

I certainly did not see that ... the poker face afterwards was great.

(And Taiwan baseball broadcast in English? Is there that much interest there's an international broadcast in English?)

23 minutes ago, Brad said:

From what I’ve read, Manfred doesn’t sound like he’s overwhelmingly in favor of the DH rule in the NL. However, he does like the extra inning rule.  Oddly enough, we haven’t yet had an extra inning game in the post season. 

I will hope and pray that no one seriously considers the extra inning rule as a permanent change.

I was thinking that a universal DH could be something to give up to the players union in the upcoming negotiation - something that creates what would surely be a higher average salary roster spot for 1/2 the teams than with the current modest-hitting, usually replacement-level utility players that you need for all those inevitable double-switches.

Mookie Betts now the first player in World Series history to hit a home run, steal two bases, and score two runs in the same game.

Not that familiar with the Dodgers' pitching staff beyond Kershaw and Buehler--are they using an opener tonight, I take it?

Edited by ghost of miles

24 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Mookie Betts now the first player in World Series history to hit a home run, steal two bases, and score two runs in the same game.

Not that familiar with the Dodgers' pitching staff beyond Kershaw and Buehler--are they using an opener tonight, I take it?

Yeah, Tony Gonsolin is pretty good, about a K for every inning. Basically, the Dodgers feel if they can keep the other team to four runs or lower, they're winning the game. It'd be nice to see the Dodgers win, last Championship was 1988, I went to one of the Series games in Oakland (student in Berkeley at the time), of course, it was the only game the Dodgers lost. It was the game where McGwire hit the homer in the bottom of the ninth to win the game. What I remember the most about that at bat is that Jay Howell threw McGwire about five straight fastballs, and McGwire was on them, but kept fouling them off straight behind, but you could see he had it timed, and me and my friend (from the Valley, big time Dodgers fan) kept begging for anything off-speed, but no, Howell threw one last fastball, and it was gone. Lasorda always called Howell a brain-dead pitcher after that because Howell kept shaking off the curve from Scioscia. Sometime it pays to listen to you catcher!

Edited by Matthew

9 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Yeah, Tony Gonsolin is pretty good, about a K for every inning. Basically, the Dodgers feel if they can keep the other team to four runs or lower, they're winning the game. It'd be nice to see the Dodgers win, last Championship was 1988, I went to one of the Series games in Oakland (student in Berkeley at the time), of course, it was the only game the Dodgers lost. It was the game where McGwire hit the homer in the bottom of the ninth to win the game. What I remember the most about that at bat is that Jay Howell threw McGwire about five straight fastballs, and McGwire was on them, but kept fouling them off straight behind, but you could see he had it timed, and me and my friend (from the Valley, big time Dodgers fan) kept begging for anything off-speed, but no, Howell threw one last fastball, and it was gone. Lasorda always called Howell a brain-dead pitcher after that because Howell kept shaking off the curve from Scioscia. Sometime it pays to listen to you catcher!

I thought you were a Giants and/or As fan????

58 minutes ago, Brad said:

I thought you were a Giants and/or As fan????

*Sigh* It's complex, it's the opposite of David's story of Yankees love, so sit down kiddies and listen to my baseball fandom story.

I grew up in San Diego, and my first baseball memories is listening to Vin Scully, not a bad way to start, and his "it's time for Dodger baseball" is permanently emblazoned into my skull. I was a Dodgers fan before the Padres hit the MLB (they were PCL, and the first pro game I ever went to was Padres AAA team at Westgate Park, John Boozer - what a name! was the pitcher, and a group of fans behind me kept yelling "Boozer the Loser" throughout the game, I was hooked on baseball after that. I was all of seven. So when the MLB Padres hit the beach, I, of course became fan -- team number two that I followed.

I wasted a lot of my youth in the 1970s watching terrible Padres baseball. We lived a five minute drive from the stadium, so my parents would drop me off to go to a game on my own (different time and era) nowadays, CPS would be all over that! So, I was a Padres fan, but durning the 1970s and 80s, the Dodgers were a very interesting team be a fan of, and I even convinced my parents to take me to Dodger Stadium many times to see the Boys in Blue play. Dodger Stadium is a great place to see a game. So there I was, living in SoCal, fans of the two NL teams.

Fast forward to the 1990s, and I'm in Berkeley for six years, and I'm discovering that the two teams there were interesting and fun to follow; I mean, you had the Bash Brothers, the Roger Craig Giants, it was interesting baseball to watch, so, I became a fan of those two teams. For the A's, I could take the BART from Berkeley to their stadium, no problem. Going to Candlestick was tougher, but I made it out there. So, now I had four teams I followed and enjoyed.

Since then, I've spent more time in NoCal than SoCal, with that, the Giants are my main team.

So the Official Matthew Teams Rooting For Rankings:

1. San Francisco Giants

2. Los Angeles Dodgers

3. San Diego Padres

4. Oakland A's

That's my story, yeah, I know you're supposed to be a "one team fan", but life is short and baseball is fun, so what the heck!

I went to bed at 10 pm ET feeling that the Dodgers were in position and didn't even go looking for the final until I got an MLB email with today's headlines. Stunner I have to say, and LA fans must be feeling deja vu with Jansen being on the mound during an October loss.  

Still only 2-2 but you can't afford to lose games that are supposed to be locked down when the championship is on the line. Rays are going to be feeling loose tonight.

An instant classic.  I know I'll never see anything that measures up to the 6th game of the '75 Series between the Red Sox and the Reds, but the one last night gives it a serious run for its money.  An epic contest that had a little of everything...the sort of stuff that reminds you of why baseball is such an entertaining and unpredictable sport.

14 hours ago, Dave James said:

An instant classic.  I know I'll never see anything that measures up to the 6th game of the '75 Series between the Red Sox and the Reds, but the one last night gives it a serious run for its money.  An epic contest that had a little of everything...the sort of stuff that reminds you of why baseball is such an entertaining and unpredictable sport.

Wild game, for SURE! That final sequence was epic.

Dodgers In postgame interviews expressing their sense of relief and jubilation when Cash pulled Snell in the 6th.  Did seem like too much of a rote “no third time through the lineup” mentality when Snell was pitching so dominantly and had not reached a high pitch count yet.  But Rays’ lack of offense certainly put their pitchers in a tight spot tonight in general. 

Edited by ghost of miles

58 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Wondering why Justin Turner didn't play tonight?  According to Sports illustrated, he tested positive for COVID-19 prior to the game.  Good thing The Bums won or they might not have been able to field a team to play tomorrow night. 

Wow ....

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Dodgers In postgame interviews expressing their sense of relief and jubilation when Cash pulled Snell in the 6th.  Did seem like too much of a rote “no third time through the lineup” mentality when Snell was pitching so dominantly and had not reached a high pitch count yet.  But Rays’ lack of offense certainly put their pitchers in a tight spot tonight in general. 

Just my opinion, but I think that call was made well before the game even started, I mean, who you gonna trust? your eyes or the computer? In today's game the computer wins every time. I thank the baseball heavens that Bruce Bochy always trusted his eyes.

I went to bed with the game 1-0, and only saw the headlines this morning. It never even occurred to me that Cash wouldn't ride his ace as far as possible. So does this suggest that Grady Little would have managed Tampa to a win last night? :g

What's extra stupid then is that he ignored the axiom that you have to win tonight, and didn't consider that if he rides Snell longer, he may have a better bullpen in place for Game 7.