• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/4/2020 at 5:47 AM, Matthew said:

Two San Francisco Giants facts beyond doubt:

1. The Giants defense is abysmal!

2. Gabe Kapler is a terrible manager.

This is still true -- this Kapler guy loves to tinker with the lineups.

Going into this new season, I was doubtful about enjoying it, but I have to admit, I'm enjoying watching baseball again. I've gotten use to the no crowds and lack of noise; the players seem to be taking it very serious. I hope it can keep going through a World Series.

13 minutes ago, Matthew said:

This is still true -- this Kapler guy loves to tinker with the lineups.

Going into this new season, I was doubtful about enjoying it, but I have to admit, I'm enjoying watching baseball again. I've gotten use to the no crowds and lack of noise; the players seem to be taking it very serious. I hope it can keep going through a World Series.

I am horrified with the Red Sox but excited about the Cubs.  If the Yankees win it all, it shouldn't count as a season but if the Cubs do, hell yeah!

41 minutes ago, Matthew said:

And I thought watching the Padres play during the 1970s was bad, the Giants are giving those old teams a run for their money during this season. 

Misery loves company.  Come watch the Mets with me. They went from having the best rotation last year to a really bad one: deGrom hurt, Syndergaard TJ surgery, Wheeler signed with Phillies, Matz is terrible and Stroman opted out. 

9 minutes ago, Brad said:

Misery loves company.  Come watch the Mets with me. They went from having the best rotation last year to a really bad one: deGrom hurt, Syndergaard TJ surgery, Wheeler signed with Phillies, Matz is terrible and Stroman opted out. 

The bad part about the whole thing is that the Giants have this clueless manager who plays worn-out guys like Hunter Pence & Pedro Sandavol, who can't play, and then  moves around the younger guys position to position, where they aren't able to get confidence since they're staying in one place. This Kapler guy is hopeless, I can see why he did so bad with the Phillies. His bullpen management has to be seen to be believed. Dude, just play the young talent, let them make mistakes, lose games, the team will be bette for that next year.

Exciting game in Minnesota

https://www.mlb.com/news/kenta-maeda-sets-twins-consecutive-strikeout-record

But on that final play, why the heck would Milwaukee bring everybody in the infield without an IBB to set up the force at every base? If the catcher is standing and ready to stretch for that throw on the tapper, he's out, no doubt about it. I tried to pause the video for when he caught it and it was bang-bang, maybe out, maybe safe but with having to make the sweep tag ... just idiotic. Sorry Brewers fans.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I know he was past his prime as a player with the Mets, but a good manager, so I have a soft place in my heart for Gil Hodges, he struck me as a classy, quiet guy. He gets my vote for number 2.

He only played in 65 games in 1962 and 1963 so you really can’t classify him in the player category but if you ask me who is the best manager in Mets history, it’s Gil, hands down. He helped transform this team into World Champions.  Tom said that many people helped get him to the big leagues but it was Gil who taught him how to be a professional. The reverence in which he held Gil and the obvious love he had for him was the way we Mets fans felt about Gil. It was a tragedy when he died of a heart attack in 1972. It’s also a tragedy and makes me mad that he’s still not in the Hall of Fame. 

On 9/4/2020 at 11:20 PM, Matthew said:

I know he was past his prime as a player with the Mets, but a good manager, so I have a soft place in my heart for Gil Hodges, he struck me as a classy, quiet guy. He gets my vote for number 2.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:42 PM, Brad said:

He only played in 65 games in 1962 and 1963 so you really can’t classify him in the player category but if you ask me who is the best manager in Mets history, it’s Gil, hands down. He helped transform this team into World Champions.  Tom said that many people helped get him to the big leagues but it was Gil who taught him how to be a professional. The reverence in which he held Gil and the obvious love he had for him was the way we Mets fans felt about Gil. It was a tragedy when he died of a heart attack in 1972. It’s also a tragedy and makes me mad that he’s still not in the Hall of Fame. 

I ran across this article this morning. Gives you a sense why Gil and Tom are special.

Gil Hodges and Tom Seaver: A Final Salute

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Matthew said:

Giants out, couldn't win a game against a very good Padres team, Tatis Jr. is unreal. All for the best, the Giants weren't that good of a team in the first place.

Mets were worse. They entered Saturday with a chance to make the playoffs and finished the season in last place. The only thing that makes this palatable is they will soon have a new owner.