Al Porcino -- Al Cohn, The Final Album

Larry Kart

This live 1987 date with Porcino's very good  Munich-based big band (the strong rhythm section really helps) finds Cohn in  typically fierce latter-day form. Actually it's not Al's final album (the title I gave above is  the one on the RazmTaz Jazz  label version I have ) -- there were two more from Al in 1988, both of high quality: one, "Keeper of the Flame," with some English players, the other "Nonpariel," a quartet album with pianist Rein De Graaf. Highlights here include a powerful and quite individual reading of "Body and Soul" and a return to Al's own "The Goof and I" where he pretty much takes the paint off the walls.

519WhNz+KyL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

I met Zoot Sims at the Corona restaurant back room in Chicago.  He was playing at the Jazz Showcase with Al Cohn.  The next time the pair played at the Showcase, I ran into Al Cohn at the same restaurant.  He seemed surprised anyone would recognize him.  I love Serge Chaloff's version of the tune so I asked him If he still played the "Goof and I".  "You heard of it?"  he replied.

7 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

This live 1987 date with Porcino's very good  Munich-based big band (the strong rhythm section really helps) finds Cohn in  typically fierce latter-day form. Actually it's not Al's final album (the title I gave above is  the one on the RazmTaz Jazz  label version I have ) -- there were two more from Al in 1988, both of high quality: one, "Keeper of the Flame," with some English players, the other "Nonpariel," a quartet album with pianist Rein De Graaf. Highlights here include a powerful and quite individual reading of "Body and Soul" and a return to Al's own "The Goof and I" where he pretty much takes the paint off the walls.

Here are some more Informations on an  Al Cohn / Rein De Graf LP as well as on  Al Porcinos work in Germany.

37892172wp.jpg

37892174ej.jpg

As to Al Porcino - one of the few US artists coming to Germany to live here [another one was Herb Geller] he directed the Burghausen Big Band. Burghausen is a place in southern Germany with the well know "Burghausener Jazz Tage" each year.

37892292cz.jpg

Beside the  mentioned big band recording on the RazmTaz Jazz  label (subtitle Vol. 1 but a vol. 2 never apperared IMHO) he has recorded a very good  big band LP on the "Jazz Mark label"  titled " In Oblivion"

37892258ml.jpg

37892259fo.jpg

and also a CD titled  "Al Porcino Big Band Live"

37892262on.jpg

37892263yi.jpg

And I add finally some private recordings from the Bavarian radio

37892264gd.jpg

Sorry -- I had the title wrong on the excellent Cohn/De Graaff album, which includes a striking and very blue reading of "Blue Monk."

8 hours ago, rpklich said:

I met Zoot Sims at the Corona restaurant back room in Chicago.  He was playing at the Jazz Showcase with Al Cohn.  The next time the pair played at the Showcase, I ran into Al Cohn at the same restaurant.  He seemed surprised anyone would recognize him.  I love Serge Chaloff's version of the tune so I asked him If he still played the "Goof and I".  "You heard of it?"  he replied.

Two favorite -- albeit secondhand -- Al Cohn stories. In Copenhagen he was asked if he had tried the potent local brew Elephant Beer. "No man," Al said, "I drink to forget." Asked on another occasion whether he played "Giant Steps," he said, "Yeah, but I use my own changes."

12 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I tried to order this Cohn / Porcino CD from an Amazon vendor. Although it was listed, it was almost immediately canceled. So f**k 'em. I'll listen to my other Cohn albums.

I see it on Amazon (direct from Amazon I believe), plus there are copies for sale on Discogs. 

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

I see it on Amazon (direct from Amazon I believe), plus there are copies for sale on Discogs. 

Yep - but the one I tried to order was listed as $1.88. Disappeared & canceled. Don't list what you don't have. I see the other more "expensive" copies. I'll think it over.