Benny Goodman with Charlie Christian

medjuck

Loren Schoenberg has posted the following on Facebook:

How many of you would be willing to write an email urging the Benny Goodman Estate to permit the National Jazz Museum in Harlem to issue the Bill Savory Goodman material?

That material includes sessions with Charlie Christian (though no songs not found elsewhere).  

Edited by medjuck

12 hours ago, medjuck said:

Loren Schoenberg has posted the following on Facebook:

How many of you would be willing to write an email urging the Benny Goodman Estate to permit the National Jazz Museum in Harlem to issue the Bill Savory Goodman material?

That material includes sessions with Charlie Christian (though no songs not found elsewhere).  

Thanks for the heads-up. I posted on Loren’s FB thread that I’m in for any such campaign.

So am I. There is enough Goodman in the Savory collection for a Mosaic set. But if they would concentrate on the Sextet they might want to look to the 5 tracks held by the Rutgers collection and the Swingtime in springtime broadcast in the NY public library collection. Just dreaming out Loud.

Yeah, I know. I'm just wondering what kind - if any - estate Charlie Christian had/has.His name is a strong selling point Probably no legal obligation there, but if there is an estate (and there very well may not be), they might reasonably appreciate some little consideration relative to the degree which the name would be used to pimp the merch.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I know. I'm just wondering what kind - if any - estate Charlie Christian had/has.His name is a strong selling point Probably no legal obligation there, but if there is an estate (and there very well may not be), they might reasonably appreciate some little consideration relative to the degree which the name would be used to pimp the merch.

Indeed. In the case of a box like this Charlie Christian would no doubt be THE major seling argument. BG? Not so much anymore IMHO,. There are an AWFUL lot of live dates and airshots of his late 30s/early 40s band out there on the market, and no matter how great the band as such is there is a point when you just tire of him runing the scales (to put it very, very bluntly :D).

In the early 90’s, there was a marvelous masters of jazz collection  of Charlie Christian recordings with and without Goodman. I think there were 8 vols; a ninth came out briefly. I think masters of jazz is a French label. I recall that some of more obscure ones with Goodman made  it on the Legacy box

3 minutes ago, mesfen said:

In the early 90’s, there was a marvelous masters of jazz collection  of Charlie Christian recordings with and without Goodman. I think there were 8 vols; a ninth came out briefly. I think masters of jazz is a French label. I recall that some of more obscure ones with Goodman made  it on the Legacy box

Indeed it was a French label; the project was directed by Christian Bonnet, with Philippe Baudoin as music consultant.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Record label pay monies not legally owed? Yeah, that's likely.

Not record labels, but estates, perhaps? There might be an accounting trick to write it off? An incentivazation to the Goodman estate, perhaps?

No matter, I see that Christian fathered a daughter, now deceased (as is the daughter's mother), so the odds of there being any tangible estate are slim and none, with slim reportedly leaving town last night.

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Indeed it was a French label; the project was directed by Christian Bonnet, with Philippe Baudoin as music consultant.

As I just said elsewhere, Vol 9 has some things not found elsewhere.    (I didn't realize that Philippe, whom I know, had been involved.) 

19 hours ago, miles65 said:

So am I. There is enough Goodman in the Savory collection for a Mosaic set. But if they would concentrate on the Sextet they might want to look to the 5 tracks held by the Rutgers collection and the Swingtime in springtime broadcast in the NY public library collection. Just dreaming out Loud.

I didn't know about the Rutgers and NYC library collection. IS it possible to hear them?  Any numbers not recorded elsewhere? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26-2-2020 at 8:31 PM, medjuck said:

As I just said elsewhere, Vol 9 has some things not found elsewhere.    (I didn't realize that Philippe, whom I know, had been involved.) 

I didn't know about the Rutgers and NYC library collection. IS it possible to hear them?  Any numbers not recorded elsewhere? 

The recording in the NCY library can be heard here: https://www.wnyc.org/story/204512-america-in-swingtime-benny-goodman-sextet/

For the recordings at Rutgers you have to go there. They have: Opus local 802 (16-9-39), Stardust (30-9-39), Flying home (10-12-40), Wholly cats (25-12-40), Moppin'it up/A smooth one  (1-5-41).

This site has the most Charlie Christian info: http://www.soloflight.cc/

Edited by miles65
Typo

• 2 months later...
On 2/25/2020 at 8:15 AM, JSngry said:

Not record labels, but estates, perhaps? There might be an accounting trick to write it off? An incentivazation to the Goodman estate, perhaps?

No matter, I see that Christian fathered a daughter, now deceased (as is the daughter's mother), so the odds of there being any tangible estate are slim and none, with slim reportedly leaving town last night.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:52 PM, JSngry said:

He does get co-writing credit on some songs so someone is owed money. And that's not just paid by the record companies. It's paid by broadcasters and streamers as well. 

On 3/7/2020 at 3:11 PM, miles65 said:

The recording in the NCY library can be heard here: https://www.wnyc.org/story/204512-america-in-swingtime-benny-goodman-sextet/

For the recordings at Rutgers you have to go there. They have: Opus local 802 (16-9-39), Stardust (30-9-39), Flying home (10-12-40), Wholly cats (25-12-40), Moppin'it up/A smooth one  (1-5-41).

This site has the most Charlie Christian info: http://www.soloflight.cc/

According to the Solo Flight page there are 7 numbers with Christian in the Savory Collection (if I counted correctly). BTW Does Rutgers have the complete programs on which these are found? 

Edited by medjuck