Playing Favorites: Reflections on Jazz of the Later 1940's

BillF

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt (and great music indeed) and no reproach meant, but the Brothers and Other Mothers twofer vinyls have been around for ages and therefore have been in circulation fairly widely. ;)

Actually, they are among the chosen few "key" vinyls where I bought a "spare" copy when I came across a pristine set at a giveaway price.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Sounds treachereously like the Savoy material reissued on the "Brothers and Other Mothers" twofers. :D
(Reissue) Credit to whom credit is due ...

Still got my ‘Brothers and Other Mothers’ Vols 1 and 2 twofers. I think only Vol 1 came out in the UK so must have been a big seller. :rolleyes:

On 10/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, BillF said:

600x600.jpg

R-2635314-1294325177.jpeg.jpg

Listening to two very different contemporary celebrations of music of that era.

Love 'em both! Even the orch with strings on the Gibbs date! :tup:tup

Agreed on both. That Gibbs recording is terrific. 

Listened to this one recently. Terrific music.

See the source image

Edited by John Tapscott

On 10/1/2020 at 10:12 AM, BillF said:

600x600.jpg

R-2635314-1294325177.jpeg.jpg

Listening to two very different contemporary celebrations of music of that era.

Love 'em both! Even the orch with strings on the Gibbs date! :tup:tup

I’m not familiar with the Gibbs material but the Lovano one is terrific. It’s been years since I listened to it. 

On 30.9.2020 at 7:34 PM, sidewinder said:

Still got my ‘Brothers and Other Mothers’ Vols 1 and 2 twofers. I think only Vol 1 came out in the UK so must have been a big seller. :rolleyes:

That might well be. My copy of Vol. 1 bought at the time ((c) Arista) is a German pressing by EMI Electrola. My copy of Vol. 2 (also bought new - a couple of years after Vol. 1) is a US Arista ("subsidiary of Columbia") pressing, As our local #1 record shop at the time had a very good jazz section and personnel that was very much in the know the US pressings did not make any difference price-  or availability-wise. (Happy times ...)

My spare copy of Vol. 1 is a US pressing too.

I don't know how well they sold overall by reissue standards back then but I do know that the Savoy twofers from those times were well distributed here and were all over the place for quite some time The only one (among those of interest to me) I had real trouble locating was "Black California Vol. 2".

They got good distribution here in the early batches - the one with the Fats Navarro, Coltrane ‘Countdown’ and Byrd ‘Long Green’. I guess the damned accountants latched on before those later issues came out, so they then became a more elusive US import. Early 80s oil shock can’t have helped either. The ones over here were the EMI Electrola I think, very good sound too.

Mole, HMV etc. had many of them in the deletions bin. Happy days !

I still have all of the ones I bought and pick up the US ones when I come across them. I have the ‘Black California Vol 2’ I think.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I have the ‘Black California Vol 2’ I think.

Actually I found mine first as a CD reissue (which had about 80% of the 2 LPs' contents) in the early 90s and was glad to get it that way at all, and about a year later, during a visit to London I found a copy of the 2-LP set at Ray's and of course picked it up (though it was not all that cheap). Happily I managed to resell the CD at once to another local collector.

I've seen the occasional other copies of that one in secondhand record shop bins since.

I've been listening to some late '40s/early '50s modern jazz, all on BN, and one thing I find incredibly frustrating is that they'll have these incredibly groovy heads with interictally patterned rhythms going on, and then when they get to the solos it's almost always straight walking 4 - keep that shit going and solo over it!

• 2 weeks later...