Pat Metheny: From This Place

26 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Great review, CJ!  

VERY in-depth. :tup 

Thank you.  I have a feeling very few will get that deep other than myself and John Kelman's in terms of the record.  I really love your blog, I gotta favorite it.  THAT is the level of writing I want to get to, that Playing Favorites has.  Non mainstream jazz media writing is the best

25 minutes ago, Ed Swinnich said:

Thanks CJ.  As a huge Metheny fan, you've whetted my appetite.  I'm expecting delivery of the album tomorrow.  Can't wait.

Of course, YMMV, and several others have said in the major jazz rags the album may be near his best... that isn't far from the truth. He's really showing some possible really interesting further directions.  This band I think as a fellow huge Metheny fan, is his best in years.  As great as the quartet with Chris Potter was, this as well as the Ron Carter and Side Eye thing have him really reinvigorated.  Because I love those early CTI discs with Sebesky, White Rabbit et al... the fact Pat's tapping into that zone with this album in spots is really cool.  The other thing that's interesting, though for me it's never been in doubt, is just how connected to the traditional jazz guitar lineage Metheny is, over time I'm really hearing his huge debts to Wes, Benson and Kenny Burrell, and I might have said this years ago, but when he played a benefit gig with Larry Grenadier and Jack DeJohnette, he dropped into a Grant Green bag with triplet repetition that hasn't been displayed on record.