A Preemptive Eulogy for the Cassette Adapter

JSngry

Funny .. only the other day I got to thinking abut that adapter and wondered whether it was still marketed at all.
I remember a friend had one of these adapters in his car in the late 90s, and of course at the time this was quite impressive being able to play your CDs through the cassette system. But this was about the only time I ever saw anyone use these. And somehow the connecting cable running to the CD player stuck away under the passenger seat did not make for a relaly tidy setup.
The reason I remembered it now was that I 've had cassette players in my late 50s collectible cars since the very early 90s but now, with them being more than a quarter of a century old, increasingly murky sound (despite cleaning) and wobbliness indicate their day has come. These players are cassette units only (no radio) so they are rather compact and fit nicely into a corner of the glove box. As the glove boxes of these cars aren't exactly large I hung on to them not only for my very personal mix tapes but also for reasons of space. But some convenient and space-saving upgrade is due now. Even if this means I'd have to burn the track lists of my mix tapes onto CD (not totally easy yet as I do not have a turntable with PC connection yet so for the time being it is a matter of burning from CDs only - yeah, old hat, I know ...) As I am not into IPods etc. some front-loader CD player is the way to go but I am wondering what the most space-saving item wold be. So I've wondered if something as compact as the CD part of that adapter setup of the late 90s would be the thing to go for. Maybe I'll get around to checking the market THIS year ...

My first car was a 1976 Mustang II. Standard back then was an 8-track player, so to bring the sound system in 1987 to the then modern standard of cassettes, I had to buy an 8-track to cassette converter from Radio Shack. They've been doing this converter thing for a long time ...

converter.jpg

• 1 month later...