Is This Stanley Turrentine?

JSngry

Don't jump to any immediate conclusions one way or the other, there's a LOT of factors to consider here, not the least of which is the weirdass tone-color -neutralizing EQin and mix. But a few moments sure sound like they couldn't be anybody else?

and while we're at it, check out that bass player...

It sure sounds like Stanley to me too. BUT - there's another tenor player on a lot the rest of the record that plays great, but is definitely NOT Stanley Turrentine.

Example:

So who is THAT?

This is ca. 1963, so...Seldon Powell? A little early for Harold Vick (or not?). Couldn't be just "anybody", there's a real personality there and just a bit (but just a bit)  of harmonic "quirkiness".

Still, that one solo SURE sounds like Stanley.

I totally get it my guy, he has the turrentine tone with the bird licks, but is it stan?  with all the players out there could another also have that distinctive tone?

let me look at it from this angle, if it was a player sounding kinda like hank but wasnt hank, i would be very surprised.  maybe its him, i do hear it-

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez