David Roback (1958-2020)

clifford_thornton

Opal and Mazzy Star were absolutely great; it was later that I got into Rain Parade (whose first LP rules). 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/26/david-roback-mazzy-star-hallucinatory-guitarist-still-sending-pop-into-a-dream

could see the Lana Del Ray thing but never really cared for/about her music. 

Psychic Ills are another, better contemporary sapling.

RIP, and thanks.

Love Opal and Mazzy Star and especially that first Rain Parade album (they're still good but just not at the same level after Roback's departure).  I've been revisiting that first Rain Parade album a lot in the past year.  Paisley Underground was such a fascinating scene; I've been listening a lot to the earliest Bangles recordings as well (gathered on Ladies and Gentlemen... the Bangles!!!, plus the first Columbia album).  Have you ever heard the Rainy Day covers project?  EDIT:  I see the Guardian piece mentions that project.  

Interesting that there doesn't appear to be a lot of extended writing out there about the Paisley Underground.  I had to actually contact the UK publisher directly last year to order this collection of mostly-contemporaneous reportage:

Tell Me When It's Over: Notes From The Paisley Underground

Edited by ghost of miles

Love the Rain Parade albums he led.  Like Mazzy Star quite a bit.  ("Fade into You" is one of those out-of-time songs I discovered and fell for years later, as I had stopped listening to pop music in disgust by then.  Others are "Under The Milky Way" and "There She Goes").  Have heard very little of the Opal material, which is not readily available to my knowledge, have not had opportunity to warm up to it.  I belatedly discovered the whole Paisley Underground scene a few years ago and have become a big fan and semi-completist.  Still a lot that needs reissued from then, including we need a good anthology of early Green on Red, when Chris Cacavas was doing his magic with them.   Anyways, 61 is too young, and RIP to Roeback, who seemed like a troubled soul from my limited line of sight.

RIP David.

I always appreciated the Paisley Underground movement, especially the Dream Syndicate. I like the Opal album a lot and the first couple of Mazzy Star albums. Roback definitely had a vision for his music.

Coincidentally I just saw the DS with Rain Parade as the opening act about 2 weeks ago. Syndicate was great ... Rain, not so much. Seemed like they were way out of practice and probably haven't played together much in recent years. Whereas Steve Wynn reformed his band a few years ago and they are about to release their 3rd album of new music in as many years. So ... VERY active!

27 minutes ago, felser said:

Love the Rain Parade albums he led.  Like Mazzy Star quite a bit.  ("Fade into You" is one of those out-of-time songs I discovered and fell for years later, as I had stopped listening to pop music in disgust by then.  Others are "Under The Milky Way" and "There She Goes").  Have heard very little of the Opal material, which is not readily available to my knowledge, have not had opportunity to warm up to it.  I belatedly discovered the whole Paisley Underground scene a few years ago and have become a big fan and semi-completist.  Still a lot that needs reissued from then, including we need a good anthology of early Green on Red, when Chris Cacavas was doing his magic with them.   Anyways, 61 is too young, and RIP to Roeback, who seemed like a troubled soul from my limited line of sight.

According to Pat Thomas' Facebook page, reissues of the Opal albums are in the works.

7 minutes ago, BFrank said:

RIP David.

I always appreciated the Paisley Underground movement, especially the Dream Syndicate. I like the Opal album a lot and the first couple of Mazzy Star albums. Roback definitely had a vision for his music.

Coincidentally I just saw the DS with Rain Parade as the opening act about 2 weeks ago. Syndicate was great ... Rain, not so much. Seemed like they were way out of practice and probably haven't played together much in recent years. Whereas Steve Wynn reformed his band a few years ago and they are about to release their 3rd album of new music in as many years. So ... VERY active!

I spent a lot of time last year revisiting the 1980s Dream Syndicate catalogue as well--need to check out the new stuff.  Would love to see the band in its current incarnation.  

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I spent a lot of time last year revisiting the 1980s Dream Syndicate catalogue as well--need to check out the new stuff.  Would love to see the band in its current incarnation.  

From an email today:
The Dream Syndicate “The Regulator,” is the first single+video from our brand new double album “The Universe Inside.” Kick back (mind enhancers optional) with this 20 minute psychedelic, somnambulistic journey through New York City.

https://thedreamsyndicate.ffm.to/theuniverseinside?fbclid=IwAR1AEOF4Ih4Fvh_DMJkpVAD2MnZGGPHsrXGzlYZ4jaFBK6GLP-lNMU_q1DQ

RIP David

Some great Australian bands that were part of the "Paisley Underground" though it wasn't called that here at the time - I suppose its a retrospective term?

I bought the Mazzy Star LP "She Hangs Brightly" when it was first released in 1990 - still play it - wonderful piece of work

Never got to see David here in Australia but I did manage a Hope Sandoval solo performance a few years back