BFT 191-The Reveal

Milestones

BLINDFOLD TEST 191

REVEAL

Feb. 2020

1.     “Respect”—Henri Texier (Respect, 1997)

This is a pretty new acquisition for me—not even sure how I came across it.  Texier is an important bass player from France with plenty of American connections, but I think he has pretty much been confined to foreign labels.  The impressive band here is Bob Brookmeyer, Lee Konitz (not prominent on this track), Steve Swallow, and Paul Motian.

2.      “Warm Canto”—Mal Waldron (The Quest, 1961)

This is a genuine early 60’s classic with Dolphy on clarinet, Waldron, Ron Carter (cello), Joe Benjamin, and Charlie Persip.  Booker Ervin is added on the remaining numbers.  This track was identified. 

3.     “Farewell Blues”—Roy Eldridge/Delta Four (Little Jazz, anthology)

Somebody identified Eldridge and the name of the group: The Delta Four.  We have Roy Eldridge on trumpet, Carmen Mastren on guitar, Joe Marsala on clarinet, Sid Weiss on bass.  It was recorded in 1935.

4.     “Little Girl Blue”—Oscar Peterson (My Favorite Instrument, 1968)

Oscar Peterson doing a ballad, playing solo.  Good stuff.

5.     “Latin for Travelers”—Charlie Hunter (Everybody Has a Plan Until They Get Punched in the Mouth, 2016) 

A recent album from guitarist Charlie Hunter.  The other players are Kirk Knuffke on cornet, Curtis Fowlkes on trombone, Bobby Previte on drums.

6.      “Illusion”—Andrew Hill (Mosaic 16)

Andrew Hill with strings.  I found this on the Mosaic set (released 2005), which consisted mostly of unreleased tracks.  I believe it's Bennie Maupin on tenor.

7.     “Flip”—Shelly Manne (The Three & The Two, 1954)

Interesting trio track led by Manne with Jimmy Giuffre and Shorty Rogers.

8.     “Vernal Suite”—Christine Jensen  (Treelines, 2009)

Big band record by Jensen, which features her sister Ingrid on trumpet.  Not identified.

9.     “Oahu Lizard”—Joanne Brackeen  (Where Legends Dwell, 1992)

Trio track also featuring Eddie Gomez and Jack DeJohnette; the players were identified, but not the record.

10. “The Drum Thing”—Conrad Herwig  (Latin Side of John Coltrane, 1996)

This is from my favorite of the Latin style albums that Herwig has recorded.  The song was identified, but not the artist.

11.“D.T.”—Randy Sandke  (Inside Out, 2002)

Not identified. Cool and brief number from an interesting record.  That’s either Scott Robinson or Mary Ehrlich on bass clarinet and Ken Peplowski on regular clarinet.  Other players include Ray Anderson, Wycliffe Gordon, and Uri Caine. 

12. “That’s For Sure’’—Marc Copland, John Abercrombie, Kenny Wheeler (That’s For Sure, 2002)

Unusual trio; identified.

13.  “Backstretch”—Bobby Previte (Weather Clear, Track Fast, 1991) 

No one identified this track from Previte.  The other players are Graham Haynes, Robin Eubanks, Don Byron, Marty Ehrlich, Anthony Davis, and Anthony Cox.

Edited by Milestones

Very cool. Definitely a lot of stuff here that is new to me! As I think I mentioned in the other thread, I finally picked up that Waldron album thanks to your track #2. Some of my other favorites were the Henri Texier (who I have heard before but am barely familiar with), the Andrew Hill (which I DEFINITELY need to pick up...wish it wasn't so expensive/rare), Randy Sandke, and Bobby Previte. Thanks for introducing me to some new things that I may not have otherwise heard!

Geez, I have that Bobby Previte record, bought it more or less when it was new, recall liking it a lot. But do I remember it 20 years later? NOOOOOOOO!

And do I have the Conrad Herwig record? Well, uh...yes, I do...And I recall liking it a lot too....

I guess, maybe, that the more you get, the fewer repetitions you give to it, so the stuff that you like but doesn't, like, knock the bejeebers out of you doesn't really stick like glue the way it did when that was all you had to listen to. Broadening and deepening is a tough dynamic to keep even.

But - that Randy Sandke record, I have never hear that, and now have an appetite to do so.

I have two big band albums by Jensen: Treelines (2009) and Habitat (2014).  The latter tends to have  rather long pieces, but both strike me as fine records all the way through. I recall Downbeat having a nice article about her a year or so back.

At this point, Christine Jensen does not have an entry in Wikipedia (Ingrid does).

Edited by Milestones