What happened to Bill Holman thread?

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

The Bill Holman thread was in the Artists category earlier this morning and now seems to have disappeared?

42 minutes ago, JSngry said:

No idea, but that's  a drag.

Hi you both, I was working on it und was just uploading a scan. I had quoted the CD Kenton plays Holman and wanted to submit it but it didn't work.

The system didnt react. I could not upload it. Then I tried to delete the message (= the quote)  and suddenly the thread was gone. Could not find it via a search again and wrote  some moments later  to the staff to investigate the matter whether I had by accident deleted the complete thread instead a file.

I am still working on my Holman list on an excel sheet. All scans are here and can be reproduced except the one with the Monkees. All other mentiones recordings are in my stock.

I am really sorry. Its all my fault but it seems the system is also not perferct if such a thing can happen.

Edited by jazzcorner
more text.

:) you've only been here for a short time and have already identified the system's greatest weakness: It's way too easy to delete stuff once and for all ... I really wouldn't want to call it your fault - but I would say that it's your job to start the new Bill Holman thread ;)

25 minutes ago, Brad said:

You’re probably not the first one who has done this. Over at Hoffman and another non music forum I belong to, you only have a certain amount of time in which to edit or delete a post. 

At Hoffman you have 30 minutes to edit or delete a post. Works fine. Over here one or two disgruntled members (including one who's now deceased) deleted their posts and threads long after they were posted - I once deleted a thread because the discussion got very unpleasant and got a lot of flak for doing so :). Personally, I prefer the Hoffman option.

Edited by J.A.W.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

To delete a post, always and only use the one that drops down for the Options menu in the lower left.

9 hours ago, Brad said:

You’re probably not the first one who has done this. Over at Hoffman and another non music forum I belong to, you only have a certain amount of time in which to edit or delete a post. 

Thank you for the Info.

Yes I know the Hoffman solution as member there (same avatar).  Sometimes if you have a typo in the title or  data for a recording  which you detect later  you can ask the staff to correct it (naming the # of the posting & thread) and it  is done very fast and you will get an Info "done".

But IMO its too easy here to delete a complete thread by accident with just one "wrong" click.  It would be very important to block that possibility and allow only moderators on request to delete a thread or use the Hoffman solution also here.

This should not be an excuse for my fault. I feel really sorry for that unlucky action.

• 4 weeks later...

Quote Niko:

:) you've only been here for a short time and have already identified the system's greatest weakness: It's way too easy to delete stuff once and for all ... I really wouldn't want to call it your fault - but I would say that it's your job to start the new Bill Holman thread

I am still working on my Holman list on an excel sheet. All scans are here and can be reproduced except the one with the Monkees. All other mentioned recordings are in my stock.  So sets cvoninue here. All Holman fans are invited. At 92  one of the few living legendasy giants. A discography is still missing.

38144857zq.jpg

38144846te.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

• 2 months later...

I'm listening to the Cooper, Holman and Rosolino Mosaic now, hoping that the battered set I bought a few years ago ripped okay.  I'm enjoying Holman's arrangements for a piano-less octet where the band gets a nice, full sound.  It's a set that I hadn't spent much time with, so this is eye-opening.  As I move into the quartet sides, Holman is also solid on tenor.  I wonder when he stopped playing.

At any rate, I'm glad that Holman is still around and I hope that he is doing well.