Pacific Jazz Labelography Update

JamesAHarrod

Back in 2012 Groove Merchant and others on this forum suggested that a labelography of Pacific Jazz was needed. I set about that task on the google blogger platform. It has been more or less complete for some time now, but I have concerns about the longevity of the blogger platform and decided to move all of my work to a more stable environment. I employed the services of Steve Albin to design a new web site and move my google blogger content to the new site. That process involved moving my original web site, jazz research.com, as well. All of my work is now under one hat at the same domain, jazzresearch.com. I invite members to drop by and take a look around. It is still under construction as the WordPress environment has many bells and whistles that were not available with google. I will announce new work on this forum from time to time. At present I am working on an extended remembrance of Jack Lewis. When Jack passed away some time ago I found some discussion on this forum, but unfortunately the link to his obituary was no longer active. Did anyone copy and save it? 

Jim

4 hours ago, JamesAHarrod said:

All of my work is now under one hat at the same domain, jazzresearch.com. I invite members to drop by

Hi Jim,.

Looks very god at this address

https://jazzresearch.com/

I am most interested privately  in the Pacific Jazz  Records / World Pacific Records list.

I think your project  above will be "the Mekka" for all West Coast fans. Have waited a long time for such a concentration of WC  jazz Information.

Addendum:

Had started here  at Organissimo a thread about Bill Holman which I did erase by accident completely. I dont have found a complete discography of his work. Did you ever start such a project?

Willie

Edited by jazzcorner
typos

I have not seen anything online that gathers all of Bill Holman's activity. Ed Michel produced a recording (07/29/75) for John Synder to see if A&M would spring for a big band recording of Holman's rehearsal band on the Horizon label. Nothing happened and the four charts recorded never saw the light of day.

Jim

On 2.3.2020 at 10:03 PM, JamesAHarrod said:

I have not seen anything online that gathers all of Bill Holman's activity. Ed Michel produced a recording (07/29/75) for John Synder to see if A&M would spring for a big band recording of Holman's rehearsal band on the Horizon label. Nothing happened and the four charts recorded never saw the light of day.

Jim

Re: a Bill Holman discography for a start.

Either you have a recent Lord's or look up Holman at Discogs you can find most of his official recordings IMO.  He is found also in a lot of Kentons " Concerts in Miniature" (which I dont have). In addition a search  on the net maybe useful.

From Germany there  is the collaboration of Bill with the different radio stations  I mean with the employed radio big bands there) and the broadcasts of those works.

Anyway I have started with my own collection and as I see there is a lot of material available with Bill Holman participating as composer, arranger, on his horns (ts, bs) or directing. Bill was open also for pop and somer rock groups and found rock music quite acceptable.

I think we have some interested members here helping to compile whats available. This could be done in another " the new Bill Holman thread". What do you think? I'm willing to share my Excel list for a beginning if you PM me.

Edited by jazzcorner
typo

I did not bring the Calliope work over to the new site. My history of the Stars of Jazz television series will be published later this month and has links to the last Calliope posts that summarize front covers and artists. The other posts to that google site have been deleted as my book corrects much of that data.

Jim

• 5 months later...