Ayler v. Parker

Bright Moments

Ayler's fine with me but I've never been able to get into Evan Parker. Parker can play though. I saw him recently do a solo set on soprano which mainly cosisted of runs up and down the instrument but with a change of tonal centre every few minutes. Twenty minutes was quite long enough. His second set was with a classical Indian alto saxist accompanied by tabla etc. where he played pretty much straight ahead and listenable tenor.

Both are fine with me, but I'm much more familiar w/Ayler. I dig where Parker's coming from, though, and what he's doing. It's more of a "niche" type thing from what I've heard, but it's a niche he occupies comfortably and commandingly. Plus he has the distinct advantage of still being alive...

I have to admit that I'm completely unfamiliar with Parker's music. Can anyone suggest a good place to begin listening?

I began listening to Albert Ayler's music almost 40 years ago (that scares me a little when I think about it - the fact that I'm that old, that is). The fact that I still listen to it today says more than anything I can write about it.

When I read the title of this thread, I thought that it was about Charlie and Albert.

Edited by paul secor

The first thing I ever heard from Evan Parker was LINES BURNT IN LIGHT, which Al sent me last year. Or was it two years ago? Either way, it is absolutely one of the most amazing solo recordings I have ever heard, like the first time I heard Milford Graves GRAND UNIFICATION. I just couldn't believe my ears.

I would recommend that as a great start. Solo soprano saxophone circular breathing huge cathedral recording. You won't believe how many saxophone lines you are hearing! And there is NO OVERDUBBING. I'm telling you.

I tend to think Lines Burnt on Light probably sounds great if you've never heard Parker's solo stuff before....but actually I found it pretty disappointing, & much prefer any of the earlier solo discs I've heard (e.g. Conic Sections or Monoceros). On the other hand the 50th birthday concert set is an excellent place to start.

Anyway I still don't fathom the rationale of this thread--why arbitrarily pick two musicians & denigrate one at the expense of the other?

I've been listening to Parker for just 18 months. I made a point of buying recordings with him in different settings: solo, duo, with piano, large band, etc - seemed a good way of getting into someone with a large discography.

Monoceros (hard to find) and Six Of One (available from Emanem) are easy to like solo recordings, and, to my ears, completely fecking amazing (it's not so much the circular breathing feat - that's a means to an end - rather, the whole approach). Most Materiall is another favourite: a fascinating duo disk with percussionist Eddie Prevost. The recent duo release with pianist Stan Tracey (Suspensions & Anticipations on Psi) is possibly the easiest way in for anyone not used to the territory he tends to inhabit. Elf Bagatellen, with Von Schlippenbach: a recent buy, getting a lot of play.

Confession: yet to hear any Ayler :mellow:

Edited by David Williams

I like my free jazz in small doses; generally I prefer jazz on the edge of free that occasionally tips over rather than 100% free. The LJCO, Brotherhood of Breath etc.

As a result most of my experience of Parker has been on more tonal discs - Kenny Wheeler's for example. It places him in a wider context which might not be what his hardcore appreciators want but suits me. There's some great Parker on Wheeler's 'Music for Large and Small Ensembles', 'Around Six' and the recently reissued 'Song for Someone'

In a more blurred setting I really like his contributions to the Spring Heel Jack record, Amassed.

Live he is quite stunning. As Impossible puts it "You won't believe how many saxophone lines you are hearing!"

Two discs I really love are the two ECMs with Barre Phillips and Paul Bley - "Time Will Tell" and "Sankt Gerold". Cool, misty but quite beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...