Jazz musicians that have cameos in films.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/7/2020 at 1:11 PM, sidewinder said:

Graham Bond, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker and John McLaughlin in ‘Gonks Go Beat’.

Wow! Cool.

Singer/Actor Bill Henderson plays the father of a Blue Blazer Scout (and helicopter pilot) in the great cult SciFi spoof, "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension”

bill henderson.JPG

16 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I know the thread is about cameos, but how about a leading man?

Harry Connick Jr. has starred in too many films to mention. Sinatra was a film star, of course. Bing Crosby...

And don't forget (although you will probably wish to) Tony Bennett's "acting" in The Oscar --

• 1 month later...

Never heard of this film before, but caught a few minutes of it on TCM last week and was surprised to see some of these musicians. Not familiar with a lot of them, but a few are pretty obvious. Brubeck gets a few lines and playing a tune.
Dave Brubeck - Piano
John Dankworth - Alto Sax (as Johnny Dankworth)
Charles Mingus - Bass
Bert Courtley - Trumpet
Keith Christie - Trombone
Ray Dempsey - Guitar
Allan Ganley - Drums
Tubby Hayes - Tenor Sax and Vibes
Barry Morgan - Bongos
Kenny Napper - Bass
Colin Purbrook - Piano
John Scott - Alto Sax and Flute (as Johnny Scott)

All Night Long (1962)

36 minutes ago, BFrank said:

Never heard of this film before, but caught a few minutes of it on TCM last week and was surprised to see some of these musicians. Not familiar with a lot of them, but a few are pretty obvious. Brubeck gets a few lines and playing a tune.
Dave Brubeck - Piano
John Dankworth - Alto Sax (as Johnny Dankworth)
Charles Mingus - Bass
Bert Courtley - Trumpet
Keith Christie - Trombone
Ray Dempsey - Guitar
Allan Ganley - Drums
Tubby Hayes - Tenor Sax and Vibes
Barry Morgan - Bongos
Kenny Napper - Bass
Colin Purbrook - Piano
John Scott - Alto Sax and Flute (as Johnny Scott)

All Night Long (1962)

IIRC (and I often don't) it's a jazz Othello.

Not a film, but isn't there an episode of "Route 66" with Coleman Hawkins is seen playing clarinet?   Yes! I just found this on Youtube.  With Jo Jones on trumpet and Roy Eldridge on drums!  (Excuse all the exclamation points. ). Ethel Walters was the first Black actress to receive and Emmy nomination for her role.  

Gerry Mulligan,  Sam Butera and Joe Bushkin in "The Rat Race". 

Edited by medjuck

• 1 year later...

The TV show Melrose Place, there's some scenes in a jazz club. Cedar Walton is playing piano. I've never watched this show. Anyone know if this is true? There is a CD called Melrose Place Jazz. IT does have Cedar in the credits as well as several other jazz musucuans.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/melrose-place-jazz-upstairs-at-mp-mw0000032702 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/5/2020 at 7:05 PM, duaneiac said:

The Benny Goodman Story was full of musician cameos including Teddy Wilson, Lionel Hampton, Gene Krupa, Harry James, Buck Clayton, Urbie Green, Stan Getz, Martha Tilton, Ziggy Elman, Ben Pollack, Kid Ory, Babe Russin and Alan Reuss.

Pete Kelly's Blues included Ella Fitzgerlad, Peggy Lee, George Van Eps, Nick Fatool, Matty Matlock and Joe Venuti.

Ella Fitzgerald also appeared (singing "A-Tisket, A-Tasket") in the Abbott & Costello film, Ride 'Em Cowboy.

Annie Ross was quite good in a more than cameo role in Robert Altman's Short Cuts.

The most classic cameo of all time must be Louis Armstrong's appearance in the film Hello Dolly.

Edit to add the second most classic cameo is probably Count Basie & His Orchestra in Blazing Saddles.

And then there was this:

I still gotta see that movie one of these days, no matter how awful it might be.

This movie was on just a few days ago on TCM and it is cheesy as shit, but the clips of Stan Getz (practicing for that nights gig in that cheesy club, but cool to see Gary Burton (I think)) and the Jimmy Smith Trio (who is the band) and Eric Burden and the Animals in full color was pretty decent. That alone was the price of admission and got me through it.