William O. Smith RIP

cliffpeterson

Very sad to hear. A painter/drummer friend of mine won the Grande Prix de Rome for art the same time that Smith won it for music, and they had a lot of fun doing jazz gigs in Italy.

They played in a band with Mussolini's son, and had a lot of great stories about it. He played me some multi-movement piece that Smith wrote for a large jazz ensemble, and it was dynamite!

I also loved the Folk Jazz album he made with Shelly Manne and Jim Hall. RIP to a great artist...

VERY VERY VERY SAD TO HEAR, RIP WILLIAM O SMITH

I saw him as recently as 2018 and at least once before that (c. 2010), in solo setting//ensemble performing the pieces of

I ALSO SAW HIM DO HIS THING WITH DAVE BRUBECK QUARTET ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS, THIS WAS A SPECIAL RARE OPPORTUNITY TO HEAR BILL SIT IN AS SPECIAL GUEST, the way they did it is bobby milatelo would play set one, and bill smith would play set two.  always made regional Brubeck concerts even more engaging

Smith appeared on several albums on Contemporary (in addition to his own Folk Jazz), such as:

• Red Norvo.  Music to Listen to Red Norvo By
  • Shelly Manne.  Concerto for Clarinet & Combo
  • Barney Kessel Plays Carmen.

He also is on albums by the American Jazz Ensemble on RCA Victor and Epic.

17 hours ago, sgcim said:

Ver

Very sad to hear. A painter/drummer friend of mine won the Grande Prix de Rome for art the same time that Smith won it for music, and they had a lot of fun doing jazz gigs in Italy.

They played in a band with Mussolini's son, and had a lot of great stories about it. He played me some multi-movement piece that Smith wrote for a large jazz ensemble, and it was dynamite!

I also loved the Folk Jazz album he made with Shelly Manne and Jim Hall. RIP to a great artist...

I emailed the sad news about Bill Smith to the above mentioned friend, and he corrected me on a few things:

"It was Prix De Rome, and Bill won it for Musical Composition in 1958, four years before me.

Bill never played with Romano Mussolini

Romano's bass player, Carlo LaFredo, brought me into Romano's band

At the time Carlo was playing with the American Jazz Ensemble, the quartet led by Bill and Johnny Eaton."

Edited by sgcim

6 hours ago, sgcim said:

I emailed the sad news about Bill Smith to the above mentioned friend, and he corrected me on a few things:

"It was Prix De Rome, and Bill won it for Musical Composition in 1958, four years before me.

Bill never played with Romano Mussolini

Romano's bass player, Carlo LaFredo, brought me into Romano's band

At the time Carlo was playing with the American Jazz Ensemble, the quartet led by Bill and Johnny Eaton."

Tony Scott played with Romano Mussolini.  Perhaps that's the source of the confusion.