I don’t know if the last two are jazz. 

Also:

Foursight: Stockholm Ron Carter

Actions Penderecki/Don Cherry & The New Eternal Rhythm

New Direction Gene Russell

Love Letters Anoushka Shankar

Wild Tchoupitoulas Wild Tchoupitoulas

Adventures in Afropea Zap Mama

Other than the Ron Carter & Gene Russell (the founder of Black Jazz Records) sides, these are not "jazz" in the strictest sense (or in any sense, possibly), but will be of appeal to many "jazz fans" anyway.

Weird that Dexter Gordon's "The Squirrel" is coming out on Rhino/Parlophone when it was issued on CD by Blue Note Records in 1997. Must've been a lease deal, but I didn't know that BN still did that these days.

I do want to get that Ron Carter LP, but mainly because I am a sucker for Renee Rosnes' playing and having Jimmy Greene cinches it.

Looking forward here to picking up that Bill Evans on vinyl. The 5LP Strut Sun Ra ‘Egypt 71’ sounds intriguing too. Might be an expensive day. :rolleyes:

‘Stonebone’ on vinyl looks tempting too.

Also on the list - Don Shinn ‘Departures’ and ‘Temples With Prophets’ first official reissues on Sunbeam.

Edited by sidewinder

The problem with Record Store Day is there's no guaranteed way to buy what you want.  Your local record dealer might not have ordered the titles you want, or been able to get them, or might have only gotten one or two...it's a system designed to benefit insiders.

On 2020-03-05 at 0:44 PM, sidewinder said:

Don’t forget the Neil Swainson ‘49th Parallel’ - first time on vinyl I think.

Don't know about vinyl, but I've had it on CD for practically forever.  Actually went to a gig Swainson was at last year and got him to sign it.  :)

9 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Don't know about vinyl, but I've had it on CD for practically forever.  Actually went to a gig Swainson was at last year and got him to sign it.  :)

Is he still playing?? Many years ago, #sonnymax recommended "49th Parallel" and it's a great CD. I've wanted to catch Swainson ever since but I've never seen him listed in the Boston-area.

He is still playing, though I don't think he gets much outside of Toronto (and maybe Vancouver, pre-epidemic).  It's a little frustrating as he doesn't have a very good website listing his sideman gigs (and he doesn't appear to lead his own groups any more).  There are a few leaders he tends to gig with, like Kirk McDonald and Renee Rosnes, so when I see them, I click through to see if the whole band is listed.

• 1 month later...

Here’s the latest on Record Store Day from the RSD organizers:

“2020 is different. So what we're doing this year is going to be different too.

Record Store Day is celebrated in countries around the world, and while every country is going through the same issues, they're not all experiencing them at the same time, or in the same way.  In the US, stores have been operating on either no revenue or a fraction of their regular income, and getting ready for one big Day, with a large list of titles to celebrate with is not what they need right now. No one knows what kind of party we'll all be in the mood for, or able to hold safely, at any time this year, in any part of the world. So we're focusing this year not on the party aspect of Record Store Day, but on getting the great releases on the RSD 2020 List into your local record store, and then into your collection.

RSD DROPS! Three street dates when titles from The List will be available only at participating indie record stores. We're working on getting the new version of The List -- with newly assigned RSD Drops dates -- all nice and pretty for you. Look for that on the Record Store Day site on June 1.

On those RSD Drops dates--8/29, 9/26, 10/24--expect stores to have some procedures in place to keep you and their staff safe and comfortable. Stores will be following their local mandates and each one may be doing things a little differently. We'll be working with them on ideas and best practices, and we'll be relaxing some restrictions on online sales if stores choose to do that. As always, it's a good idea to follow your local record store on social media or start a conversation with them. More information will be coming from them as we move towards the first of the RSD Drops. 

No plan is going to make everyone happy, and for sure this year looks different than any other, as far as Record Store Day and everything else goes. We're doing the best we can to help record stores, and to help you support them, too.”

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

I’ll be pitching my tent with mask and hand gel. :lol:

Haha. I’ve looked at a couple local shops that are doing things differently. One is having people wait in line, 6 allowed in at a time and 20 min time limit (it’s a really small shop), the other is doing online reservations and you can pick up if you get it. I put in an online reservation for one title in the Sept batch. Don’t really care if I get it though 

13 minutes ago, Brad said:

When I went the day after last year I found I could buy pretty much what I wanted. 

A lot seems to be available online this year. About the only things to tempt me out of my abode this time are the Bill Evans and perhaps the Sun Ra.

My local place is doing limited entries at any one time with about 10mins limit once you are into the Inner Inner Sanctum ✟.

Edited by sidewinder

Anyone else participate in this 1st Aug 29th ‘Drop’?

I didn’t bother attending in person (not keen on 5hr queues in a pandemic) but I did manage to order online the Sun Ra Egypt ‘71 5LP set from Strut, which is pretty well the only thing I was interested in.

No doubt it will be on discount and freely available in a couple of weeks time. ;)

Edited by sidewinder