McCoy Tyner has died, aged 81

J.A.W.

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I've never been disappointed in any Ron Carter record that had Joe Henderson on it.

What are some you have in mind?  I've never been disappointed in any Joe Henderson record that had Ron Carter on it.  Much love for this one:

Image result for joe henderson state of the tenor

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

What about the ones that had Ron Carter on them?

An uneven batch, to be sure,

23 minutes ago, felser said:

What are some you have in mind? 

All Blues & Parade.

Those are the only ones I have in mind. Are there more?

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

All Blues & Parade.

Those are the only ones I have in mind. Are there more?

Not that I am aware of.  I agree that his CTI titles are stronger than what came after.  Still like "Uptown Conversation" better than any of them.

The only Carter CTI that really worked for me was the one with Joe. The others...too much icing, not enough cake. Agreed on Uptown Conversation, though, and I did like that first record with him as the lead instrument, what was it, Piccolo? Pegleg? Both? The piccolo bass band, that worked in a nuevo-Chico Hamilton sort of way for me.

The guy has certainly made a lot of leader dates, but...

I am an "outlier" when it come to McCoy Tyner. I smiled when I saw the lengthy list of Tyner recordings on Milestone. It turns out that I only have one of his Milestone CDs. I had a number of them on LP and disposed of them when I came to realize that I did not like them.

I have 5 of  Tyner's sessions on the Impulse label, 3 on Blue Note, 1 on the LRC label, 1 on Chesky, 1 on Telarc and the Verve Big Band session.

For my taste, Tyner is at his very best as a sideman on numerous Blue Note recordings by leaders such as Joe Henderson, Freddie Hubbard, Hank Mobley, etc.  He also played well as a sideman on a few other labels  in the 50's. I also like his early work with John Coltrane on Atlantic.

Much of his playing in his later years lacked interest for me. Often a heavy bombastic touch and ideas I did not care for most of the time.