COVID-19

The PM just announced  that Italy is closed down for two weeks: only pharmacies grocery stores supermarkets public offices and postal services open. Basically we can go out for buying food and medicines. Working is permitted with safety restrictions.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw a graphic showing that the UK and US are about 13 days behind Italy on the rate of infection, France and Germany a little closer to Italian rate today.

What hasn't been mentioned is how deaths from other causes will jump because there aren't any ICU beds available when the shit really hits the fan.

43 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Just saw a graphic showing that the UK and US are about 13 days behind Italy on the rate of infection, France and Germany a little closer to Italian rate today.

What hasn't been mentioned is how deaths from other causes will jump because there aren't any ICU beds available when the shit really hits the fan.

That's really the key.  The healthcare system has two main risk (that I can think of):

1.  Healthcare workers being inadvertently/unknowingly becoming infected

2. Lack of appropriate critical care beds and associated equipment

I'm reading that "flattening the infection curve" is the best way to avert a horrible outcome here.  If only we could get our production of hand sanitizers to meet demand.  Cancelling mass gatherings would help too.

19 minutes ago, Lyin' Wolf said:

If only we could get our production of hand sanitizers to meet demand.  Cancelling mass gatherings would help too.

We can't even get isopropyl alcohol and aloe to make our own here.

Starting to sound serious.  Anthony Fauci testified today that very possibly 1 of every 3 Americans could get the virus.  And possibly 20% of those over 80 or compromised could expire.  I'm 68 and diabetic...not flying anywhere, not leaving the house unnecessarily, and thinking of blowing off concert plans for the summer (Elton John, James Taylor, Lady Gaga)!

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

And oh by the way, what happened to all of those rural/semi-rural hospitals that used to be there?

Facilities to be mobilized in times of emergency, only...

6 hours ago, Dave James said:

You want to see how crazy this has gotten?  Watch this video of a Costco in Lower British Columbia just after it opened for business a couple of days ago.  

Jeez - Chicken Little Brigade of the Lower Mainland out in force. Unbelievable.

3 hours ago, bresna said:

So for the 3rd consecutive day, my work has strengthened the "work from home" rules to where they are now saying, "It is asked that you work from home as much as possible.Only come to the office as needed."

They've also announced that the cafeteria will be closing tomorrow. Face to face meetings are strongly discouraged. If you need to hold a meeting, all attendees must sit 6 feet apart. On our main campus, you can't move from building to building. If you work in Building 1, you have to stay in Building 1. The manufacturing areas are all closed to anyone not working there. No visitors are allowed into any building. At our Philippine factory, all workers must have the temperature taken prior to being allowed entry. In some areas, they have shuttle buses to bring you in and you have to have your temp taken prior to boarding the bus.

So I guess I'll be working from home for a while.

No such luck for me but we got a survey from corporate about what insurance license is held and what your PC and internet capabilities are, so they may make that decision fairly soon.

Has anyone seen the video of the asshat nba player touching everything in sight and now he has tested positive? What a dick.

I requested and received permission to work from home for duration.  Does not negatively impact my work at all, in fact I am more productive and happier working from home, especially under these circumstances.   Governor of PA just closed schools and all stores except grocery/pharmacy in our county (Montgomery County, PA, adjacent to and just west of Philly) for two weeks.  

Just did a grocery run myself. Pretty busy for a Friday at 1pm. Some things were pretty wiped out: rice, beans, pasta. Didn’t even notice if there was toilet paper (we’ve got plenty).

I’d say it was as busy as a Sunday mid-afternoon (which isn’t quite as bad as Sunday nights, which are the worst):

Headed back out on a Target run in a few more min (no car, so every set of errands I can only carry so much). If I can get ~4 packages of frozen fish fillets, plus what all I just got, we’ve got plenty of food for 5-6 days, maybe 7.

I *know* we’re not sheltering in place, but there’s no telling if there’ll be such a run on stuff, that by Monday or Tuesday a lot of the shelves may be bare a couple days.

I’ll admit to stocking up of a bunch of toilet paper a couple weeks ago (when I first heard of Australia literally running out in 48 hours).

There was PLENTY here at that time, and I figured better now (then), than having to worry about running out when everyone else had stripped the shelves bare (which probably is the case now, or close to it).

We’re not worried about things very much. We’re both healthy, relatively young (51 & 52), and we don’t have any kids (and all our folks live 1,000 miles away).

We’re pretty much hermits half the time anyway, so it shouldn’t be any big deal to us (as compared to plenty of other folks).

2 hours ago, bresna said:

WTF is wrong with people? This is not "Bird Cage". You're not going to walk out your door and die. This isn't the plague. You don't have to shelter in place.

People are scared, and trying to come to grips with the unknown.  It is about statistics and probabilities, and the less trips out, the less contact with people/surfaces/etc., the less likely one is to catch/spread this thing.  It's not the plague, but it's also not just the flu.  I have sympathy for people right now, and will bear with them.  It will settle into a new normal soon enough.  And it will pass in time.

2 hours ago, felser said:

People are scared, and trying to come to grips with the unknown.  It is about statistics and probabilities, and the less trips out, the less contact with people/surfaces/etc., the less likely one is to catch/spread this thing.  It's not the plague, but it's also not just the flu.  I have sympathy for people right now, and will bear with them.  It will settle into a new normal soon enough.  And it will pass in time.

I agree with felser. The big unknown is what the ultimate impact will be.

• JSngry locked this topic