COVID-19

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem over here it’s the health system  This virus causes a pneumonia that requires ventilator and intensive care, don’t get fooled about the death toll: a fair number of people under 60 y/o need it to recover. Second biggest problem is the medical staff: more exposed to virus. So this virus if underestimated can cause the collapse of health system. Nobody wants medics having to decide daily who treat who don’t because there’s a lack of resources, and I would add all other diseases that require IC not only Covid. The task force of the government is formed with the best experts we have. Though I have been very critic about this government, in this case I think they are doing well.

My wife works in healthcare and deals with many international patients.  With a toddler at home, I am obviously concerned about my wife bringing her work home with her.  My wife and I each survived the flu within the past 6 months without infecting the other 2 people in the house, so I am hoping that we can keep the baby virus-free at the very least.

It was like the zombie apocalypse at the local stores yesterday.  We stocked up on food that would keep us during a quarantine, but we are hoping to shop like normal tomorrow.  I may have to start a thread here offering CDs for toilet paper, though.

I live near two groceries stores.  Neither had toilet paper.  Both were pretty much stripped of rice, beans and canned vegetables.  One still had a moderate amount of fresh fruit/vegetables, while the other was stripped bare.

Toronto is going into very close to full lock-down -- all public libraries, rec centres, pools and virtually all museums are closed.  Schools were just heading into spring break (at the last minute Canadians were told not to travel, so we'll see who can and cannot cancel) and they will be closed for another two weeks after that.  People are hoping the siege will be lifted in mid-April, though I am expecting mid-May.  I will admit that I am glad we finally have the warmer weather, so if I am out and about (though that will be much rarer, since my employer is calling for essentially mandatory telecommuting and virtually everything else will be closed) I can ride my bike rather than take the bus/train.

I went out tonight to the local Shoprite to see if it was bad. It was. All the produce had been purchased. I was hoping to buy a couple of honeydews but had to settle for a couple of cantaloupes. People had their carts loaded to the gills. I purchased two big bags of rice last weekend from the Chinese food store, just because we were low, so we certainly have enough rice for awhile, come what may.  I always complain to my wife that she buys too much of this or that. I ain’t complaining no more. 

Edited by Brad

This has been a lot to take in and has been a most horrible experience to see our fate realized, to see this happening.   I am not against the possibility that this was lab-manufactured.  SCIENCE IS THE MOST RESTRICTED, TABOO SUBJECT ON EARTH. """lets blame it on the little fuckin armadillo thing, no one will be none the wiser"""" This exact play has been done before in recent times, some of you might remember.  You know I was going to copy and paste like 11 pages of info for you guys but than I was all no no this is going to be too much and some of this stuff is going to drive people up a wall, so i'm doing a small post instead.  I NEVER thought I'd see this happen in my life time.  The concept of something like this happening is not foreign to me, I attended my regional 2006 Bird Flu Conference, and accounts from the future have included population differences, but here we are in 2020 with moving global pandemic. We really did it this time- congratulations homo sapien-sapien: we've come a long way baby.  Will ET step in and help us if this gets further out of control- maybe, maybe not, we just don't know.  But one thing I do know is I don't want to see this get any worse.  

17 hours ago, bresna said:

My wife just called to tell me that several local grocery stores have bare shelves. WTF is wrong with people? This is not "Bird Cage". You're not going to walk out your door and die. This isn't the plague. You don't have to shelter in place.

No, it isn't the plague, but it is very important to limit exposure to large groups of people so that community spread can be reduced or cut off. It would be wise to treat this almost as if you have to shelter in place, until at least clinical testing can catch up. The health care system is depending on people doing this before their capacity for ICU is maxed out.

This hoarding thing is beyond stupid. It's not like a hurricane where stores can't open or you can't find gasoline to fill your tank. I was thinking about a small Sam's run this weekend and was looking at the freezer and figuring we were OK until next weekend, will just need to get more then. Since supply chains aren't severed I am sure people can find what they need ... eventually?

And I just found out from my wife that when she ran out last night it was for horse feed, and naturally there were hardly any bags left at the one retailer that was open after 8 pm.

I've been told that, at age 64, I am considered "elderly". Who knew?

I've also been told that at one local hospital network, if it gets to be crunch time in ICUs with limited resources, that "young" people will be prioritized over "older" people for resources like ventilators. Kinda the ultimate "Ok, Boomer"! Nature - and administrative decisions - will show us yet that we are not meant to live at the center of ours and everybody else's universe forever!

So, it's time to just stay at home as much as reasonably possible, avoid crowds as much as possible, just keep a safe distance in all ways in all things, and keep an eye on Craigslist for ventilators.

Oh, one more thing - I'm seeing that local "arts" concerts that are being cancelled are offering credits for future gigs, or an opportunity to donate the tickets back to the organization for a tax-deductible contribution, all sorts of options except getting a straight-up refund.

Cash flow's a bitch, ain't it.

The Dos and Don’ts of ‘Social Distancing’

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-what-does-social-distancing-mean/607927/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I've been told that, at age 64, I am considered "elderly". Who knew?

I've also been told that at one local hospital network, if it gets to be crunch time in ICUs with limited resources, that "young" people will be prioritized over "older" people for resources like ventilators.

Don't worry Jim, if triageing comes, you've got better chances at 64 then my Mom at 85. It's the generation before you that's going to be left out to die. Mostly. :g

(I just read that 60 is the spot where death rates really increase, though I also heard that 50 is the start of increasing death rates.)

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Oh, one more thing - I'm seeing that local "arts" concerts that are being cancelled are offering credits for future gigs, or an opportunity to donate the tickets back to the organization for a tax-deductible contribution, all sorts of options except getting a straight-up refund.

Cash flow's a bitch, ain't it.

The Dos and Don’ts of ‘Social Distancing’

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-what-does-social-distancing-mean/607927/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The only thing I was doing in that article (besides going to the grocery store) was going to the gym, which I’ve decided to curtail. We have a lot of walking paths around here so that’s what I will be doing.  

I ran by a downtown grocery store and they had just received a shipment of tp.  They were rationing it to 2 large packages per household.  While a lot of people had one in their carts, it wasn't universal.  The panic, at least downtown, seems to have subsided.  Still no tp in my neighbourhood stores.

Where I think there will be a lot of grumbling and second-guessing is when the 2-3 week lock down goes into a full month and beyond.  Especially because schools are closed and there is virtually nothing for children (who supposedly are less susceptible) to do.  They can't go to spring break camp, rec centres, libraries, pools, museums, etc.  And this is also the time we'll start seeing the first wave of bankruptcies.  

Edited by ejp626

On 11.3.2020 at 3:57 AM, porcy62 said:

The most disturbing thing is to keep a physical distance from other people: no shaking hand, no hugs, no kiss, because you can be dangerous to others or others can be dangerous for you. I mean when I meet a friend or even I am introduced to a stranger I usually touch him/her. Dreadful situation.

Yes, but that is the only way to slow down the spreading of the virus, as you can carry it without having symptoms. It makes sense. My wife and I both work with handicapped and/or old people, and they are the most endangered. We keep a distance, wash hands, and limit our social contacts to a minimum. No reason to panic, just discipline yourselves and stay cool.

We bought some basic food and stuff to get over the next weeks in case of quarantene. but not as crazy as other people. 

51 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Yes, but that is the only way to slow down the spreading of the virus, as you can carry it without having symptoms. It makes sense. My wife and I both work with handicapped and/or old people, and they are the most endangered. We keep a distance, wash hands, and limit our social contacts to a minimum. No reason to panic, just discipline yourselves and stay cool.

We bought some basic food and stuff to get over the next weeks in case of quarantene. but not as crazy as other people. 

I agree, I am just saying it’s not easy especially if you’re a single. When your city has been closed down for a couple of weeks we’ll talk again. When you can’t visit friends or relatives or sons or daughters, no sports, parks closed, out only for food and medicine.  No offense but you don’t know as I didn’t until now. Say that I stay cool, spinning records , cooking and draining my cellar. Btw a couple of weeks will not be enough experts say a couple of months at least 

Edited by porcy62

My biggest worry so far is for my 87 year old Dad in an assisted-living facility (an excellent one) and to a lesser extent my 90 year old mother-in-law (who lives in her home with one of her daughters). I am so used to visiting my Dad whenever I feel like it, and this is now discouraged and there's only one entrance to the facility which is the farthest one from him so that when I come to get him for appointments or an excursion he has quite a ways to walk. We're being asked to just limit our excursions to doctor's appointments, and it's going to be hard for me who depends on spending time with him. I hope that they can keep him safe from the illness itself with all the measures they are taking. I worry less about my mother-in-law, she doesn't really want to go anywhere but sometimes church, and she seems to enjoy company when they visit but never initiates or invites a visit, and will probably be fine.

I feel for anyone who contracts this illness, especially anyone with medical problems. I hope you and all your families remain healthy and safe. 

My parents are 90 and 86, and I am cancelling family trip to see them and introduce them to their great-grandson late April in Florida.  Very disappointed, but we do what we need to do during this time.  Lord willing, we can reschedule for later in the year.  We can all give thanks for the technology available to us, which softens the isolation during this trying time.  What would this have been like 25 years ago, let alone 1918?  We are locked down tight here, governor of Pennsylvania has (rightly) shut down all of the PA suburbs of Philly.   We are set for awhile to ride it out.  I am good to work from home (prefer it anyways) and my wife already does 95% of her work from home.  My daughter and 2-year-old grandson live with us, and my daughter's banking work is the main point of exposure, but the governor just shut down her credit union's county (Chester County, also where I work).  The county where we live, Montgomery County, has been shut down for a few days already.  Glad to have you guys to correspond with during this time.

• JSngry locked this topic